PDA

View Full Version : Internet sharing with wireless network

jcr1
27-01-2004, 08:19 AM
I am running AnalogX proxy server and Remote disconnection utility, both of which have worked fine with my Ultra connection on a LAN.
But, the other day I splashed out and bought a Belkin Wireless Network Access Point and a Wireless Network USB Adaptor for my laptop.
I left all my LAN settings intact and I can do everything that my network has been doing (sharing files etc.) but I can't get the internet sharing to work.
Can someone please tell me what I might be missing here?

Chilling_Silently
27-01-2004, 09:10 AM
I had issues with my WLan a while back. It clearly stated on the manual "Not compatable with ICS".

I proved them wrong two ways.

First, I tried routing through a Proxy server I was running on the Host PC - Worked fine
Secondly, I bridged the LAN and WLan Connections and again, so no Proxy was needed. Again, it worked great :-)

What OS's are you running?

Cheers

Chill.

jcr1
27-01-2004, 09:58 AM
Thanks Chill,
Win XP Pro on both computers.

jcr1
28-01-2004, 07:25 AM
Still no luck. Funny thing is it can share files, but when I ping each computer, it doesn't work. Another thing, with the access point manager, I can't get it to configure.
The instructions do say to connect the LAN to the access point with patch cable, not crossover, but I'm sure that that's assuming I am connecting from a switch or hub, when in fact my network is straight through to one other computer. The guy in the shop said definitely use crossover cable in my situation. Might ring the shop back.

Marshell
28-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Are you running Zonealarm or any other firewall. If so you need to make sure the IP range of your network is trusted for this all to work???

jcr1
28-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Got it, I got the support number (in Oz) and I was informed I would have to set my computer (server) IP to the same range as the default on the access point, which I did, which gave me the opportunity to alter defaults. Then Ijust made sure settings in internet options were correct and now I can use my Ultra connection on a wireless LAN.
AnalogX proxy server and Twiga remote disconnection (also connects) software work fine.