PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates To Be Knighted

robsonde
27-01-2004, 12:27 AM
this is NOT a joke.....

http://xtramsn.co.nz/business/0,,5007-3030390,00.html

Microsoft co-founder and chairman Bill Gates will be awarded an honorary knighthood by Britain's Queen Elizabeth for an outstanding contribution to enterprise, officials report.

metla
27-01-2004, 12:37 AM
Seeing as Bill has be mentioned.

Anyone see the 6 oclock news,They repeated the head line four or so times before we got the story,MS founder and worlds richest man declares war on spam"

Then when the story rolled out,Old bill claimed in 2 years time programs would be available to filter spam,and that ms would have a solution to viruses.

First i would like to say this is not any more news worthy then Palmerston North schools banning hair gel(great country this,we run out of news stories every night within 10 minutes)...But what is happening in 2 years is longhorn,and what bill was referring to was features built into it.

This is not news,its hype for something 2 years away,and our brilliant reporters are pushing it as legit news.

Longhorns anti-virus features will not be a solution to the virus problem,it will undoubtibly be much worse then other products already on the market,and if things stay on the course they are now will probally be a mayjor contributer to the virus problem.

And who in thier right mind is going to wait 2 years for ms to bring out spam filtering software?...especially when there are many products that do so already and are constantly being refined.

If bill wants to help with the spam then he should shut down hotmaill and make outlook display the email headers rather then download the entire msg.

hamstar
27-01-2004, 01:33 AM
He doesn't deserve a nighthood.

This man is singly responsible for the detrement of computers everywhere. With notorious errors and BSODs in his microsoft OS's and programs.

On the other hand, I may be being a little hard on ol' bill. He is a great entrepenuer, and I spose it's microsofts fault for all the errors, not bill, so give us the face of a Microsoft cheif to throw tomatoes at!

But, is it him, or Microsoft who are pushing these "I wanna know everything about you" things and by saying spam and virii are to be wiped out for good, is he talking about TCPA which longhorn is built around? (www.notcpa.org)

Laura
27-01-2004, 06:46 AM
This should be an Off Topic.

Obviously, it's going to prompt the usual strong opinions on both sides of the Bill Gates/Microsoft debate.

No objections to that.

(In fact, these in-house rows are often quite illuminating, Occasionally they produce some interesting facts amongst the general rants)

But let's not pretend the subject matter is a Press F1 question......rather than a statement.

Laura
27-01-2004, 07:07 AM
And yes of course he is newsworthy....no matter what you think of his current comments about fighting spam...(vague PRO garbage at a conference...presumably expecting countries will pass legislation will do that job, rather then Microsoft actually doing anything?.)

And yes, I agree that fighting viruses would make more sense from Microsoft, considering the holes in its system make so many of them possible.

But it's still Off Topic for PF1, because it's not a question.....

miknz
27-01-2004, 07:46 AM
Lets knight him!!!!!!!!!

Has he not changed the way everyone on the planet goes about their day to day life?(for better or worse)

I think that someone who has had that much impact on the world deserves a knight hood at the very least. I know a lot of you guys and gals are not m/s fans but sometimes you need to look through the flaws in the system and think about what the system has done in the past 20 years.
Question:
When the Wright Brothers put there plane together 100 years ago it was not the perfect speciman, 100 years on planes still fail and crash killing hundreds on a regular basis!! With this in mind why not cut Bill a little slack.

Mike

Dolby Digital
27-01-2004, 08:46 AM
>>When the Wright Brothers put there plane together 100 years ago
Hey, you should be using Richard Pearse as the early aircraft example (who's Richard Pearse you say). ;\

Chilling_Silently
27-01-2004, 09:06 AM
Yes, but Bill Gates must have put out some good software, all credit to him, seeing as the majority of the world are using Windows. Is it 35% of all PC's are running Windows98?!

To attain that type of statistic, you have to say, he MUST have put out some good software (Either that or Solaris and Linux were very lacking at the time ;-)).

Has an 'interesting' ring to it doesnt it.... Sir Bill.... :-)

Chill.

miknz
27-01-2004, 09:07 AM
oops! :D

sorry bout that

Fire-and-Ice
27-01-2004, 09:29 AM
<groan>

Not another "lets knock Bill and Microsoft" thread. :-(

I agree with you about the news reporting Metla, was also cringing when listening to the news about spam last night. Its ironic that he's getting so much attention for vowing to "crack down" on spam when not so long ago we were all up in arms because the "send me spam" box was ticked by default in Hotmails Preferences. :D

<stirs pot>
As for the knighthood dare I say that hes done a lot more good for the world than the likes of Mick Jagger et al? ;-) :D
</stirs pot>

Dolby Digital
27-01-2004, 09:38 AM
>>Not another "lets knock Bill and Microsoft" thread.
Yep, people have to moan about something, so it may as well be Bill. He doesn't care anyway. :D

Pheonix
27-01-2004, 09:55 AM
Interesting in that I cannot think of anyone who has been knighted (honorary or real) that was not a subject of the british Commonwealth at the time.

See what happens when NZ uses their own honors, Britain has to look elsewhere :D

Murray P
27-01-2004, 10:02 AM
I think it's wonderfull news that Bill is to be blessed by Lizzy but, don't take this story at face value folks.

I have heard a little wisper that the sword Lizzy will be waving around Bill's shoulders will be much sharper than the regular version. The intention is that the anointment will hark back to much earlier times, ie, the sword will take the shortest route possible from shoulder to shoulder. All in the name of efficiency, of course.

Cheers Murray ;P

Fire-and-Ice
27-01-2004, 10:44 AM
> Interesting in that I cannot think of anyone who has
> been knighted (honorary or real) that was not a
> subject of the british Commonwealth at the time.

There was someone recently but I can't think who it was. Unless it is our ol' Bill and this is old news? ;-)

Murray - LMAO
He ought to be afraid....... VERY afraid! :D

csinclair83
27-01-2004, 11:36 AM
if 2000 was "recently"
then here u go..

Film director Steven Spielberg is to receive an honorary knighthood. Emily Morgan has the details. The British embassy in Washington has confirmed the director of ET and Jurassic Park will receive the reward at the end of January. The ceremony will be held after a private dinner for his family and friends hosted by the British Ambassador, Sir Christopher Meyer. Since Mr Spielberg isn't British he won't become a 'Sir' or kneel in front of the Queen but he'll be able to put the letters KBE after his name, which stands for Knight of the British Empire. He's not the only American to receive such rewards, former President George Bush and comedian Bob Hope were also given knighthoods.

i think in this case he deserves it for fighting world proverty..and for empolyment as if there wasnt a microsoft then a lot of ppl wouldnt be working unless there was something else in its place......

and yippeee we cant call him Sir Bill....as if Mr Spielberg got one too then we can only call him KBE Bill....