PDA

View Full Version : should i overclock my pc

Hiren
26-01-2004, 09:58 PM
I was woundering should i risk overclocking my computer it has...

2.0ghz
512mb ram
40gb hd but slow rpm

BootyLicious
26-01-2004, 10:00 PM
NO!

Hiren
26-01-2004, 10:17 PM
ok i wont besides if my computer blew up then i wouldn have a comp :D

hamstar
26-01-2004, 10:47 PM
why not!? If its a AMD XP just go into bios up the voltage on the cpu core a little and crank up the fsb multiplier i overclocked my xp1800 from 1.53 to 1.671ghz... its cool System says its a XP2000 now. I am ainming for the 1.8 tho.

agent
26-01-2004, 11:20 PM
There's no reason why you shouldn't give it a shot, I tried it on three computers last week.

Got one from 1.0GHz to 1.12GHz, one from 800MHz to 1066MHz, and the other to 1.2GHz from 900MHz.

Two of them I used at the higher speeds for a a few days before reverting back, for the sole reason that I had noticed a few minor (as in very small) glitches and decided it wasn't as stable as I would like it to be.

If you're going to try it, do a little at a time - too much and you won't be able to boot, most likely requiring a hard boot to change the settings (although one of the computers I tried set the clockspeed to 533MHz if a boot failed - it called it safe mode).

Greg S
27-01-2004, 12:09 AM
> There's no reason why you shouldn't give it a shot

Is there any reason why he should? The performance gains are quite minimal

> If you're going to try it, do a little at a time

Yes!

DangerousDave
27-01-2004, 12:20 AM
if i had a P4 i would overclock, P4's are generally great overclockers... just go into the bios and take the FSB up a few mhz... test that its stable (i.e. play a few games) then repeat until you reach a point where it is either too hot or unstable, in which case wind it down a few points.

Athlons tend to be a bit hot unless you have a tbred core (unlikely for 2ghz) or a Barton, you should be able to get the barton up a few more mhz provided you have decent cooling and memory...

what ever you do though, don't mess with the voltages, that'll really fry things...

- David

Terry Porritt
27-01-2004, 08:04 AM
All this business of overclocking reminds me of the days when Japanese motorbikes first appeared in the UK in the 1960s.

Honda had an advertisement with a 300cc Dream high rpm screamer lined up against a 1000cc Vincent Black Shadow low rpm grunter (the worlds fastest standard motorbike at that time even though it was an end of war designed bike and already nearly 20 years old, yes, I had one so am biased).

The ad read "rpm versus cc".

Far better to get a faster cpu then lower its 'rpm' to give more torque and better handling and stability, and lower engine temperature. :D

Hiren
27-01-2004, 08:59 PM
yeah but i herd its dangerous and its the only computer i have .... mabe if it was safe then yea...

Chao is back
27-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Dude its safe... do a bit more googling on the internet read a little on some better heatsinks since you're obviously a beginner to it I wouldnt' suggest watercooling.

On my stock AMD 2600+ Barton heatsink i overclocked it from 1.9 ghz to 2.4 ghz. and if i do calculation right it should equal amd athlon xp 3400+ (which doesn't exist, but the number makes it easier to compare with intel cpus) which is pretty good for a stock heatsink, temps were running at 70 degrees. No instability. Then i bought a full copper Volcano 12 heatsink. Temperature down to 50 now.

and another thing it won't blow up either... just do it slowly up the front side bus do some benchmarks e.g. Sisoft Sandra Burn in test, 3d mark, etc. if you meet instability e.g. a single crash in any benchmark then up the voltage, this also produces more heat though, and then benchmark again, if it's all good then continue overclocking. I'm pretty sure you can't overclock by changing multipliers on that cpu. will need more details to open up more overclocking possibilities.

Terry Porritt
27-01-2004, 10:19 PM
No one has yet answered the question "why not just get a faster cpu?"

By the time a fortune has been spent on sophisticated coolers, extra fans etc etc, you could have a faster cpu, I just do not understand the logic behind it.

Fire-and-Ice
27-01-2004, 11:07 PM
Because thats far too easy Terry. ;-)

hamstar
27-01-2004, 11:51 PM
>what ever you do though, don't mess with the voltages, that'll really fry things...

really does that mean my amd xp2000+ @ 1.71 volts is in danger?

i upped it from 1.6 or 1.625

kiwibeat
28-01-2004, 07:37 AM
a 10% increase is generally safe for overclocking but dont over do it especially in summer when its hot enough so you dont need to warm up the room lol

PoWa
28-01-2004, 09:35 AM
Heh yea wheres the fun in buying a new cpu?? Have some fun and fiddle round with overclocking it, you learn a GREAT deal in the process.

I for example put pencil lines to jojn the L1 bridges on my T-bird cpu to unlock the multiplier on it. In the process I learned how to remove and install a cpu and heatsink properly and apply thermal paste correctly.

Unfortunately my motherboard was so bad it wouldn't let me increase the multiplier on the chip, ah well, all good fun :)

SKT174
28-01-2004, 09:58 AM
>No one has yet answered the question "why not just get a faster cpu?"

Because of the price ... I'm running my P4 2.6C at 3.52 ... the cost of a 2.6C is around 3 hundred dollar mark, now the highest P4 you can get now is 3.4 with a price tag of over $1200 ...

Another reason is, an overclocked PC is faster than the non overclocked PC with the same speed