PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP should i upgrade

help_me
26-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Hello
I am thinking of upgrading my os to win XP. I am currently running win 98. but want a change.

i have a 4gb hard drive but i am getting a 40gb one very soon. i also have a pentium 2. with 160mb of ram.

would xp work with this???

my friend said it would be a good idea to format my hard drive then install xp.
is this the way to go

thanks

Fire-and-Ice
26-01-2004, 07:45 PM
You could possibly find that Win XP runs painfully slow on that computer. Personally I would stick to Win 98 until you can upgrade your machine. ;-)

Megaman
26-01-2004, 07:46 PM
well what speed is your cpu?

@ least 500mhz is recommended and your ram is fine, however a little more would be better

JohnD
26-01-2004, 07:46 PM
XP should work fine (but better with more RAM).

I think from memory there is an upgrade path from Win98 to XP - but a reformat is always a better idea.

What do you do with your PC - have you considered using Linux?

help_me
26-01-2004, 08:26 PM
I havnt really though of using linux is it better than windows xp. i hav never seen it in person. only pictures of it online an etc

Megaman
26-01-2004, 08:38 PM
linux is only for pros

try hiring the september/october 2002 pcworld from a library as it has knoppix linux on the cover cd

knoppix works from the cd, no install needed

help_me
26-01-2004, 08:44 PM
yea i might stay away from linux then bcos im not much of a pro

my friend has a copy of xp. that i will install and see if it works any good. if not i can always jus format and go back to win 98

JohnD
26-01-2004, 09:44 PM
> linux is only for pros

There are many people these days who would not call themselves "pros" who use Linux. To get Linux installed and use it for basic home use (word processing with OpenOffice, browsing & e-mail with Mozilla, graphic editing with the GIMP, ...) is no harder than Windows. I have a DVD player, CD-RW, zip drive, Epson C61, USB camera and pen drive all working fine -- it does all I want!

hamstar
27-01-2004, 12:18 PM
Upgrade to Windows 2000. That should run smoothly on those specs.

Very nice OS and in my opinion better than XP.

Pheonix
27-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Help_me , there are other considerations as well.

1/ Can you get XP drivers for all your hardware ,eg modem, video card etc..

2/ Are all the programs you want to run and keep able to run on XP?

bk T
27-01-2004, 02:03 PM
With your current hardware configuration I would suggest you to stay with your Win98 OS. XP will probably work fine (maybe slow) but what's the point of spending this money? It maybe better to save it for upgrading your hardware (newer pc)?

It is very unlikely that you will get performance boost by installing XP with your current hardware, it may even be slower with XP!

I really don't see any reason why you should upgrade to XP.

Mzee
27-01-2004, 02:14 PM
I installed XP Home on a K6-2 AMD 500mhz. There are some points to check on.
You require 256 meg RAM. Some early computers would not handle more than 128megs.
You require about 3.5gbytes for your Primary partition. Place your software on another partition.
You are unlikely to be able to Activate your friends version of XP if it has already been activated on his computer. It will expire after 30 days, but long enough to evaluate.
You will also have to deselect most of the gimmicks to speed things up.
(xp-Anti spy.exe). If you can use XP you will find it to be very reliable & compatable with most software.

Megaman
27-01-2004, 03:08 PM
well do you want to?

this is like people who didn't want to upgrade to windows 2000 because windows nt worked just fine, and people who didn't like upgrading to windows 98 because windows 95 worked well.

but @ the end of the day, it's your choice. oh why don't you put in the new hard drive, along with the 4 gb one, and sual boot?

btw pentium 2 uses the highly flexable socket 1 cpu. a 500mhz cpu can be found on trademe and sdram can be found there pretty cheaply too

Megaman
27-01-2004, 03:15 PM
> > linux is only for pros
>
> There are many people these days who would not call
> themselves "pros" who use Linux. To get Linux
> installed and use it for basic home use (word
> processing with OpenOffice, browsing & e-mail with
> Mozilla, graphic editing with the GIMP, ...) is no
> harder than Windows. I have a DVD player, CD-RW, zip
> drive, Epson C61, USB camera and pen drive all
> working fine -- it does all I want!

i correct myself. it is easy if you have the right software to go on it. it's just i found my installation of linux to be very troublesome and the running of it to be even worse

but that's just me

chances are if you chose linux and install it, you may have a better time than i had