PDA

View Full Version : Sharing internet connection with internal modem- possible?

Wilky
26-01-2004, 04:54 PM
I just got a windows xp laptop today, and I have networked it to my windows 98SE desktop which has an internal ADSL modem. I want to share the connection but I don't know how. Is it possible? If so, how?
thanks.

Wilky
26-01-2004, 05:04 PM
oh yeah, and there is no hub, it's just 2 computers with network cards connected with crossover cable.

zminos
26-01-2004, 05:05 PM
just run the windows xp network wizard and get it to create a networking floppy and then use that to set up the p2p with your 98 box and say yes to shareing you net connection.

:)

Wilky
26-01-2004, 05:07 PM
98 never asked me if i wanted to share my net connection. and the laptop i got, a dell, has no floppy drive, so i used the xp cd.

Murray P
26-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Yes it is. Your network card (NIC) and modem just have to be introduced to each other. Set the modems's IP address as the default gateway for both computers and you should be fine from there if you have already got a working network and ADSL connection. You could try MS ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) but I don't know if it is available to win 98se plus, IMO it's just an unnecessary complication. I use a switch to organise my traffic so some of the finer details you may have to get elsewhere but the concept should be the same. Have a look at this site (http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/contact.htm) for networking and internet connection sharing.

Cheers Murray P

drcspy
26-01-2004, 05:22 PM
www.analogx.com .............network downloads........'proxy'........it's awsomely simple to set up and lets you share internet connectinos

MrBeef
26-01-2004, 06:20 PM
I have ICS running on my two win98se comps. Works a breeze.

What would make you think it wouldn't be included? You just have to install it from Windows Setup

Murray P
27-01-2004, 09:45 AM
> I have ICS running on my two win98se comps. Works a
> breeze.
>

> What would make you think it wouldn't be included?
> You just have to install it from Windows Setup

Nothing. Neither would there be anything to make me think it would be included. Does DOS or 95 have it.

AFAIK it is not included in 98, as for 98se I have no knowledge (never used it and no time to find out) and doubt whether it (ICS) works on a direct cable connection.

Cheers Murray P

Fire-and-Ice
27-01-2004, 10:01 AM
> > What would make you think it wouldn't be included?
> > You just have to install it from Windows Setup
>
> Nothing. Neither would there be anything to make me
> think it would be included. Does DOS or 95 have it.
>
> AFAIK it is not included in 98, as for 98se I have no
> knowledge (never used it and no time to find out) and
> doubt whether it (ICS) works on a direct cable
> connection.

Only Win 98SE onwards has ICS but previous versions can be connected to a PC with ICS. ;-)

Murray P
27-01-2004, 10:06 AM
SOoo, win98 gateway with an XP laptop wouldn't work?

Cheers Murray P

Fire-and-Ice
27-01-2004, 10:41 AM
> SOoo, win98 gateway with an XP laptop wouldn't work?

Nope. But Win98SE gateway with an XP laptop would. ;-)