PDA

View Full Version : Virus causing shutdown of PC ?

Peter Coleman
26-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Hi,a mate of mine has a PC that won't let him go on line for more than a few minutes,before it comes up with a message saying the PC will be shut down in 60 seconds.It then counts down and shuts the PC down,and you can't do anything to stop it.I assume it is a virus,but I don't know which one,and he doesn't have an anti-virus program on his PC(I know,I know).Anyway,I told him to try AVG,but it won't let him stay on line long enough to download it,so apart from buying a new antivirus program,any ideas how to get him going at the moment?Thanks

Peter

tweak\'e
26-01-2004, 11:29 AM
sounds like blaster.

turn the firewall on or install one.

J ZEP
26-01-2004, 11:33 AM
It does indeed sound like the blaster, if so chills got a page with nice clear instructions for removal etc...

Here (http://www.rescueman.tk/)

Pheonix
26-01-2004, 02:09 PM
To get online and NOT close down on him while he gets the fix :-

1/ Activate XP firewall
2/ Ctrl-alt-del and look for process named msblaster.exe and stop it.
3/ Download and use fix .

drcspy
26-01-2004, 05:25 PM
could also be 'nachi' it has the same symptom........a handy trick to stop either from shutting you down almost immediately is to goto the sysetm clock lower right of your screen and clik it up ......then change the date to say a year ago........then, and I've only been told this but not tried it, apparently the shut down message will read 'your system will shut down in 365 days and 30 seconds' lol