PDA

View Full Version : Loading Operating System

Waylander
26-01-2004, 12:40 AM
Hi Folks,

I've got a Acer 530LC Laptop. Specs are P4 -M 2.2Ghz CPU, 256 DDR PC2100 Ram, 40Gig HDD, CD-RW/DVD combo drive, 4 in 1 card reader for digicam memory cards, no FDD. I bought this from a Farmers store. Yes I know, you should never purchase from these types of stores. But the warranty options are better than most and when I bought my Desktop from Millenium Computers 2 yrs ago they went bust 4 months after I bought it, and so did the 2yr parts and labour warranty. Of course this has nothing to do with my Laptop problem.

My problem starts when I start up my laptop. The POST test is fine but I don't get the "Loading Windows" message with the progress bar before the Windows boot screen appears. Now, after the boot screen is finished I get a quick flash of a blue screen. On two occasions I've managed to pause this sreen and it's some message along the lines of "a windows has detected a hardware error which could've been caused by adding new hardware".....or something similar to that. This problem occured after I partitioned the HDD using Partition Magic 8. I split the HDD into three partitions. Now this damn boot problem happens all the time. I've used the F8 option to use "Safe Mode" and even this won't work. The operating system starts to load the minimum files then the Laptop just hangs. I have to remove the power cord and battery to restart the computer. When I restart I get the F8 option again with a few added options. One of which is to start operating system with something like "Minimum Directory Services". When I choose this option I manage to reach the login screen. At this point I have to choose the "Turn Off Computer" option and select the "Restart" option to restart the computer.
This whole process is of course frustrating. I've used my recovery disk that came with the Laptop 3 times. At this point everything is fine the HDD is restored to just the one partition. But as soon as I partition the HDD I get the same problem. One weird thing about the recovery stage is that when I restart the Laptop I still don't get the "Loading Windows" with the F8 option before the Boot Screen appears. This problem has been with me for 3 weeks now.

So I'm sending out an S.O.S. to you experienced Techies out there. Maybe I should mention that I've just completed the DipICT Level 6 course and my knowledge and experience still can't solve the problem....doh!.

bardin
26-01-2004, 08:18 AM
Have you tried rebuilding the MBR (Master Boot Record)? This contains the partition table, which in your case may have become corrupt. To rebuild the MBR in Windows XP you need to boot into the recovery console I believe, I've never done it myself...:)

When you try to reinstall Windows XP have you also tried to blow away the previous partitions, and create a new one?

Brendan.

Graham L
26-01-2004, 04:57 PM
I think your problem "starts with" the partitioning. At a guess you are doing major damage to the Windows system. :D

Basically, you want to "split" a single, Windows, partition. I don't use PM, but I assume that it ought to be able to do this, and leave a working OS.;-) Will PM8 handle XP and NTFS, if that is what your Windows partition is?

Even a MS installer should give you the option of keeping existing partitions, but I suppose those rescue CDs are plugged as "restoring the factory configuration".

What about the Windows XP disk management --- will that do the splitting?

Waylander
26-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Hi Graham,

Thanks for the reply. The HDD was originally formatted to FAT32. So when I used PM8 I stuck with that format. NTFS is pretty cool but there's a few compatibility problems so that's why I stuck with FAT32.

I'll see about Windows inbuilt partition tool though. I've never used it.

Waylander
26-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Hi bardin,

Thanks for the reply. When I reinstall using the recovery CDs all partitions are blown away and a full rebuild of the HDD kicks in.