PDA

View Full Version : CD Headphone Slots

twelvevolts
25-01-2004, 07:41 PM
All CD players I've ever seen have a direct headphone jack with a volume button on the bottom left side.

When I'm in Mandrake Linux - this headphone jack works great and I can listen to music directly from the CD using Ks CD or similar.

In Windows - I have never been able to get this to work, and starting up winamp/media player or even OTS (the best CD player around!!) doesn't seem to work for me.

Is there a way to get the headphone jack to work from the CD in windows. Now I know other ways to listen to music with headphones in windows, but this has puzzled me for a while.

Megaman
25-01-2004, 08:02 PM
what brand of cd drive?

twelvevolts
25-01-2004, 08:08 PM
any brand - it' a generic question. I have about five different cd drives and it is true of all of them.

Terry Porritt
25-01-2004, 08:20 PM
You dont need any operating system to play audio cds' in a cd drive using the headphone jack, just press the play button next to the stop/eject button. All you need is power to the drive :)

twelvevolts
25-01-2004, 08:53 PM
Perhaps some CD's have such a button, but mine all have only a volume and eject switch. Putting a cd in and plugging in the headphones produces no result, apart from when Linux is used.

bmason
25-01-2004, 08:59 PM
I've run into the same. It depends on which app is playing it. For windows I think turning off the digiral output option in the multimedia control panel works.

twelvevolts
25-01-2004, 09:55 PM
ok - looked through the sound and audio devices on control panel and played around with a few things to no avail. don't have a multi-media control panel item??

robsonde
25-01-2004, 10:35 PM
this is to do with how the CD's are being played....

one way (the windows way) is to get the data off the CD and pass it to the sound card to do conversion to audio.

the second way is to instruct the CD drive to "play" and the CD drive sends audio to the sound card.

only the second way will have sound at the drive.

there will most likely be programs to play either way in either OS.

twelvevolts
25-01-2004, 10:41 PM
so it's not my imagination after all. thanks for the explanation.

Terry Porritt
26-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Well, I just fired up a win 98 comp with a cd drive having no play button, and using the system CD Player from Accessories (c:\windows\cdplayer.exe), I get sound from the headphone socket.

With older cd drives it is usually best to have DMA disabled in its Properties in Device Manager.