PDA

View Full Version : How to resize hdd partitions?

fergie
25-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Hi.
I need a program that will resize my HDD partitions.
I have Partition magic 8 - but when i do it through that, it says i must restart - which i do - but when i boot up, nothing has changed.

I'm on Win XP, hdd is FAT32

drcspy
25-01-2004, 06:52 PM
PM8 is a good program maybe you are not doing soemthign quite right ?.........otherwise make the floppies that it can create for you that allows you to boot up using them and run PM before you even get to windoze

fergie
26-01-2004, 06:28 PM
ok.
How do you set it up to use floopys?

I think it doesn't work on my pc, cos my pc is all weird.
I'm on Win XP PRO, and it used to have the normal shutdown menu (three buttons - colorful) but i must have done something - and now its a drop down menu, and when i press CTRL, ALT, DEL, it shows a box with about 6 menus.
and the problem which i think is cuasing probs in PM8 - is when i boot up to windows, a box comes up asking for my password - its nopt the normal user logon screen.
I don'ty have a PW, so i just press OK, and i'm the only user, so its a hassle

Graham L
26-01-2004, 06:47 PM
That looks as if you are being "protected". I suppose that in a system run by an administrator, she wouldn't like ordinary users repartitioning the drive.:D

So you might need to find out how to run PM from a boot floppy.

Pheonix
26-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Advice I received from a friend that uses PM a lot, is that before utilising PM, you should scandisk and defrag first. Apearantly this has cut out the occasional problems that happened.

And you will have to learn to do PM from bootable floppy sorry. I have only used it twice, so I am no expert.

drcspy
26-01-2004, 08:23 PM
in the programs menu where you will find PM8 there are several items........you need to 'create bootable floppies' from one of those menus........take a look it's there under the PM8/tools/createbootable floppies

sam m
27-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Can I add another question here,
If I use PM8 to delete a partition (it has linux installed and also there is a boot menu on as well) what will happen to
- that space (about 11gb)
- linux ( I assume that it will dissapear)
- the boot menu thingy (not sure which one it is but it installed itself when I added Mandrake 9.2

Greg S
27-01-2004, 12:19 PM
> it used to have the normal
> shutdown menu (three buttons - colorful) but i must
> have done something - and now its a drop down menu

That sounds like somehow you've changed the regular XP interface to the Windows "classical"

Start | Settings | Taskbar and Start Menu | Start Menu

fergie
27-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Na, i checked that, its still normal.

It occured after i went to a LAN party - and i was fiddling round with my LAN settings.
And my mate has the same problem, when he tried setting up a LAN, but he got rid of it (back to normal i should say) after lol, 'refidddling around with the settings"

But i don't wanna tocuh LAN settings - i've had to many probs with it...

as for the partitiion magic thing - i ain't tried it yet - been to busy - skool and all.... I've gotta pick between y12 Computing or Physics.... :'(

Graham L
27-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Physics. :D In that the minor errors ("bugs") are removed in the course of progress, not repeated.