PDA

View Full Version : C:\ - invalid drive specification....

agent_24
25-01-2004, 04:25 PM
an friend of mine recently gave me an old 33mhz computer, with 2 gig harddrive, 2mb ram, 1.44mb floppy, etc. the usual old stuff. anyway the computer is fine apart from the harddrive. (of course) it wont boot to the harddrive. the harddrive is detected as 2.2 gig in the bios, and stuff. it makes the standard harddrive whirring sound, but it tells me " invalid or non-system disk, replace and strike your keys" etc. so i booted from my XP boot floppy, (the only thing at the time) and it was ok, with a nice little
A:\> promt.
anway. typing C:\, C:, cd C:\ or anything related tells me "invalid drive specification". i dunno if its the partitions or what, but all i want to do is get it so i can install DOS 6.0 which i conseqently have. of course if i stick the DOS disk in and run Setup.exe, it tells me to install DOS, press "CTRL +ALT + DEL", which i did. (it didnt work), it jsut rebooted, said - waiting for hdd 80 to spin up, or something, then told me again, that it was a non-system disk. i do know that there is nothing on the harddrive though.
anyway, as usual, if anyone can help with this, it would be nice.

Pheonix
25-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Most likely the disk is not formatted. Download a bootdisk from bootdisk.com (http://www.bootdisk.com/) and format it.

Also from the bootdisk, try fdisk and view partitions (option 4 i think) and make sure it has an A under the active heading.

agent_24
26-01-2004, 10:59 AM
sorry, but the computer actually has 20mb ram, but anyway- i have got the harrdrive working and i was able to copy some little games and run them. I also managed to install windows 3.11, but it told me (after installing) that the version of dos i had used to boot with was in-compatible (well, i did boot from XP dos) so i tried installing DOS 6 (which didnt work, as i dont have a MS-DOS 6 boot disk.) i downloaded one from www.bootdisk.com, but it was corrupted CHOICE!!. i think that if i am able to get one, it should work, but i dont know where. could anyone reccomend a site?

Mike
26-01-2004, 11:06 AM
> XP dos) so i tried installing DOS 6 (which didnt
> work, as i dont have a MS-DOS 6 boot disk.)

How can you have tried installing DOS 6 if you don't have a DOS 6 bootdisk? The DOS 6 disk number 1 is a boot disk.

Unless you don't have a legal copy of it ;)

Mike.

tommy
26-01-2004, 11:09 AM
> i downloaded one from www.bootdisk.com, but it was corrupted
Try downloading it again. It may have been a corrupted download rather than a corrupted "boot disk".

agent_24
26-01-2004, 09:49 PM
dont worry, yea i had downloaded a screwed version of DOS 6, but i gat DOS 6.22 instead, which worked fine. i now have that and windows 3.11 on it. it seems to be good. anyone know where to get an ISA sound card?

Name
26-01-2004, 11:40 PM
www.trademe.co.nz (computers/components/sound cards) I saw a couple there when i looked :)

drcspy
27-01-2004, 07:02 AM
<.........has about six isa sound cards lol......

agent_24
28-01-2004, 03:03 PM
yea, nah its all good - i *borrowed* a card off my friend: a Creative Soundblaster 1.5 with Adlib support or whatever - one problem - i have no idea how to configure it. its asks for a port number: 200 - 280 or something and an IRQ - i tried 5 because that was empty, and it seemed to work ok. a slight crackling could be heard out of the right speaker though.. anyway i loaded up a little Dos game that had adlib support and started playing - the sound was a little crackly and distorted - and about 2 minutes later it decied to start screeching at me - the only way to shut it up was to turn the computer off. i dont know what the problem is, but there is ALOT of jumpers everywhere on it that i dont know what they do, as i have no manual or anything, and i cant seem to find one either, so if someone could give me a link for a manual or a solution - that would be extremely nice :) . thanks again

Graham L
28-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Usually you need a line like "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330" in the c:\autoexec.bat line. Those would be the default settings (depending on the jumpers ;-).

You should find lots of Soundblaster drivers ... it's the most common. Google as always ...