PDA

View Full Version : Installing PCI modem

Peter M
25-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Can anyone tell me step by step the best way to install a HSF modem PCI modem enumerator. This is a conexant SoftK56 Data/Fax/Voice modem. Every time I have tried installing it won't work and in device manager there is a yellow exclamation mark next to HSF Modum - PCI Modem enumerator. The problem message says "The NTKERN.VXD, CONFIGMG.VXD device loader for this device could not load the device driver(code2) To fix this, click on update driver to update the driver" I do this and get the same result. I am loading drivers from the CD disk supplied with the modem. My system is Pentium 2 350 with Win 98. I have gone back to my older LT win modem to post this.

Graham L
25-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Will it accept a default driver (one supplied in W98)?

Pheonix
25-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Try :
1/ Power-on computer and let windows detect modem
2/ Cancel windows new device/modem detection
3/ After windows load completely, go into CONTROL PANEL
4/ Select SYSTEM, then DEVICE MANAGER
5/ Select REFRESH
6/ Windows Wizard will show “PCI COMMUNICATION DEVICE” detected, 7/ select NEXT
8/ Select “Display a list…”, NEXT
9/ Select HAVE DISK, NEXT
10/ Select BROWSE, look under directory of downloaded driver where you saved the modem driver;
11/ select OK, and OK again
12/ Choose the 1st choice CONEXANT HCF V90 56K DATA FAX PCI MODEM, select NEXT/OK
13/ A DIALOG BOX WILL APPEAR ASKING “Are you sure you want to use this modem…?”, Select YES
14/ select FINISHED
15/ TO SEE IF THE MODEM WAS INSTALLED PROPERLY, GOTO Modem option under Control Panel and select properties and then select MORE INFO; if no errors are displayed, the modem is now installed and is working properly

Peter M
25-01-2004, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. Graham L - haven't tried that as I don't know what driver to select. Phoenix - Tried your step by step suggestion. Ok up until step 12 & there was no match. i.e. CONEXANT HCF V90 etc. so I installed off the CD supplied and ended up with the same result. Modem shows up with no problems when you click on modem in device manager. Further up the list of devices appears this HSF MODEM -PCI MODEM ENUMERATOR. This is the one showing the problem exclamation mark as in my first post. This is the one with the error message.

Merlin
25-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Fine

Replace the modem then

Men are four:
He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool -- shun him;
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple -- teach him;
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep -- wake him;
He who knows and knows he knows, he is wise -- follow him!
- Lady Burton (wife of Sir Richard Francis Burton), given as an Arabian proverb

bardin
26-01-2004, 07:24 AM
PCI modems suck. You should try to download the driver from a website though...to use it go into Device Manager, properties of the card, and select update driver. Point the Wizard to the location you downloaded the driver from.

Oh and Win98 also sucks. Chances are if you installed this on XP it would install automatically.

Oh and Windows sucks too. And so do ex girlfriends...and working on public holidays at 7.30 in the morning ;)

Grumpy.

Peter M
26-01-2004, 11:59 AM
What also sucks is posters to this site who do not read the original post properly or who resort to sarcastic comments but don't actually help in any way. Bardin you say to point the Wizard to the place I downloaded the driver from. I have stated twice now that I am loading the driver off the CD supplied by the supplier. Merlin - I asked for assistance and not a feeble poetry lesson. That aside - the modem has been changed, the first one supplied gave the same result and I returned it for a replacement claiming it was faulty. Can't be two modems with exactly same fault. Thought someone here may have experience in setting these modems up to run.

Pheonix
26-01-2004, 12:58 PM
Try deleting the enumerator and modem from device manager, reboot and cancel out of windows attempting to install whenever you can. Then go through the instructions given.
If that doesn't come off, I have another way that is worth a try, just have to type out the step by step sorry.

Peter H
26-01-2004, 01:09 PM
It might be worth starting in safe mode. Then go system - device manager and see what modem drivers it is showing. When I had problems, under safe mode only, it showed an extra one. I would remove them all, then reboot and follow previous good advice.
Bye

Terry Porritt
26-01-2004, 01:38 PM
I know you have done this several times now, but one thing comes to mind when using manufacturers driver CDs; are you loading the correct driver for your modem? The reason I ask this is that there are often a whole collection of drivers on a disk for different device models, and if so, it is easy to pick the wrong one, like getting HSF and HCF mixed up.

Fire-and-Ice
26-01-2004, 05:58 PM
> I know you have done this several times now, but one
> thing comes to mind when using manufacturers driver
> CDs; are you loading the correct driver for your
> modem? The reason I ask this is that there are often
> a whole collection of drivers on a disk for different
> device models, and if so, it is easy to pick the
> wrong one, like getting HSF and HCF mixed up.

Good point Terry. The best method that I have found is to copy the Modem driver folder from the CD to the hard drive and point the driver update to that. ;-)

Peter M
26-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. Sorry with delay getting back to you, have been out for the evening. Phoenix - tried deleting PCI enumerator and so on. Same result same message. Yes I have also tried starting in safe mode and I am loading drivers listed on disk as d:\ Driver\Win98. If these modems are such a problem and don't seem to be very popular then can someone suggest a good internal 56K modem?

zqwerty
26-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Try the Dick Smith one going for $34 at the moment, used to be $78 when I bought it. Mine works very well.
Regards

Terry Porritt
27-01-2004, 06:40 AM
I had problems with a Rockwell/Conexant chip HCF modem as well, in my case it was determined to use particular IRQs which prevented me using an IDE controller card. It was months before I found the trick of forcing it to go elsewhere. These modems also use 2 IRQs and more resources.

The 3COM/US Robotics modems are so very much better and dont have these sort of problems, they give a more reliable connection and a higher connection speed than the Rockwell chip (at least with my phone lines and set ups.) However they do cost more.

The best solution of all is an external modem plugged into Com2 serial port. No installation problems worth worrying about, better all-round performance, and no extra resources/IRQs consumed.

Peter M
27-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Thanks for latest replies. Looks like I will have to change to a different modem as this conexant pci one is being too stubborn and my old one the LT Win modem is playing up something chronic. Thanks anyway.

Pheonix
27-01-2004, 06:05 PM
1/ Power-on computer
2/ Cancel windows new device/modem detection
3/ After windows load completely, go into CONTROL PANEL
4/ Select MODEM, then ADD buttton
5/ Select OTHER
6/ select NEXT
7/ Select DON'T RUN HARDWARE INSTALL WIZARD
8/ Select NEXT
9/ Select DONT DETECT MY MODEM...
10/ Select HAVE DISK button
11/ Select BROWSE, look under directory of downloaded driver where you saved the modem driver;
12/ select OK, and OK again
13/ Choose the 1st choice Conexient MODEM, select NEXT/OK
14/Follow your nose after that. It will install then restart, then detect modem.
15/ TO SEE IF THE MODEM WAS INSTALLED PROPERLY, GOTO Modem option under Control Panel and select properties and then select MORE INFO; if no errors are displayed, the modem is now installed and is working properly

Pheonix
27-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Forgot tomention, delete the enumerator and modem in the device manger first, then restart and follow Plan B above.

Growly
27-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Silly question:

Are you sure these are Win 98 Drivers?

Cause i saw "NTKERN.vxd", which reminded me of the NT kernerl, which dont exist on 98 :D

Wayne H
28-01-2004, 05:48 AM
These modems are a pain in the proverbial, however remove the driver from device manager then run the *.exe in the modems directory off of the CD .
hcfl.exe from memory?