PDA

View Full Version : Help! Internet Explorer 6.0 crashes

Evilgecko
24-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Internet Explorer 6 keeps crashing as soon as you load it up. Explorer has crashed many times before, but a simple reboot has fixed it and then it works fine. However, a few days ago Explorer crashed like usual with the error widow popping up and saying : "The program has preformed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If this problem persists please contact the program vendor". I then clicked close, and instead of the screen going blank and the desktop showing up after a few seconds with no wallpaper, i got another error message saying : "An error has occured in internet explorer. Internet Explorer will now close. If you continue to experience problems please restart your computer". So i restarted, but the same thing happened again as soon as i clicked on internet explorer. As explorer is intergrated into many things, i cannot open folder widows or browse the C:/ drive. I even had to do this post off an old computer running win95

To try and fix this explorer has been reinstaled but still does not work. I dont want to have to do a clean install of windows 98 again.

i am running:
Windows 98SE
128MB RAM
500MHz Pentium 3
1.2GB free on 20GB hard drive
Internet Explorer 6.0

Could someone please help
Geo :-)

mark c
24-01-2004, 10:28 AM
Maybe you could try getting an AV program on a floppy and loading that and seeing if it's a virus/dodgyware of some sort. If you can't get comp going enough to even do a IE self repair.

Pheonix
24-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Check out FAQ 1b (they are slow to load at times, so be patient).
At least do what 9a & 9b recommend.

Also , do you run antivirus program or anti-spy/scumware programs such as adaware and Spybot?

Has it EVER been running happily on IE6? It seems that some combinations of hardware and software with Win98, makes IE6 unstable. The only work-around is to load IE5.5.

Peter H
24-01-2004, 11:07 AM
Getting rid of IE6 is not easy, but MS have a knowledge Base Article - 312451 to lead you through it. Worked fine on my second comp - W98se after I decided I prefered IE5.
Bye

yingxuan
24-01-2004, 02:29 PM
HAve u tried repairing internet explorer?there are sites that tells how to remove internet explorer but i heard removing it slows the computer down.
perhaps u should write what the details say under "this program has caused an illegal operation"!!

Peter H
24-01-2004, 02:48 PM
The MS option does not remove IE - merely gets rid of V6 and reverts back to original. It re-installs Windows with the original.
Bye

stu140103
25-01-2004, 02:32 PM
I suggest you reinstall Internet Explorer, & if that does not stop it crashing then you can do a reinstall of windows (with a reinstall of windows, you will Not loss any information like e-mail, Documents etc...)

Hope this helps

agent_24
25-01-2004, 03:31 PM
(with a reinstall of windows, you will Not
> loss any information like e-mail, Documents etc...)

Scince when was that true??

last time i re-installed windows i lost everything

Peter H
25-01-2004, 03:38 PM
You must have formatted first - if you boot from floppy - change to CD, and type "setup.exe" you don't lose anything - will not even ask for numbers. Keeps all desk top settings etc.
Bye

stu140103
25-01-2004, 03:56 PM
> (with a reinstall of windows, you will Not
> > loss any information like e-mail, Documents
> etc...)
>
> Scince when was that true??

What Peter H said (and he is correct, as I have done helps off reinstalls, & I have not lost any thing), & I will add on to that Format (reformat) & windows reinstall are two different things :)

Fire-and-Ice
25-01-2004, 04:50 PM
> > (with a reinstall of windows, you will Not
> > > loss any information like e-mail, Documents
> > etc...)
> >
> > Scince when was that true??
>
> What Peter H said (and he is correct, as I have done
> helps off reinstalls, & I have not lost any thing), &
> I will add on to that Format (reformat) & windows
> reinstall are two different things :)

With previous versions of Windows, yes, but I'm not so sure about that with Win XP. I needed to do a reinstall recently and Windows warned that reinstalling (no format) would result in the loss of data in My Documents, etc so I chose a Repair instead which did keep all my data. I plan to test the reinstall/lose data possibility soon but in the meantime it would pay to err on the cautious side. ;-)

Peter H
25-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Evilgecko - who originated this - is running W98se. We seem to be getting off track, but I am sure that you are correct. Luckily I'm running 98se. Very seldom keep anything in My Documents. Always have seperate folders.
Bye