PDA

View Full Version : FAQS not working? And reformat for XP

joe90ak
24-01-2004, 08:24 AM
Morning guys and girls

I need to reformat my HD and totally reinstall XPpro as each time I reinstall from CD (using te complete unistall/reinstall option) it leaves all the old stuff on my HD after I start up including folders and things for old programs.

I can't get the FAQs to open (is there a prob with them?) and need to know how to do clean install from boot up using the Win XP cd... bit worried that I won't be able to run the set up CD from 'DOS' if I reformat the HD and I'll be Puckered

any help at this early hour appreciated. I figure that as it takes about 3 hours to reinstall XP (I've already done it twice) I should be able to get it done over a 3 day weekend with a bit of luck :)

Joe

Robby
24-01-2004, 08:59 AM
gidday,

have a look here,http://www.cyberwalker.net/

I found it to be great.

cheers,

Robby

Megaman
24-01-2004, 09:01 AM
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=22555&message=64804&q=reinstall#64804

that's a direct link to heather p's faq

cyberchuck
24-01-2004, 09:21 AM
Try formatting your HDD in DOS before installing XP, or doing a full format during the XP Installation (there is an option for this IIRC). This will wipe all the files from your machine and give you a clean install for XP.

Just be aware that if you format in DOS should you require a reboot and it comes up "invalid disk or no operating system" (something like that) you will have to change your boot order and put the cdrom ahead of the HDD so it boots from CDRom. Otherwise, should you be able to work in DOS after the format without rebooting you should just be able to move to your CD Drive and run Setup.

As for the FAQs - it is a known problem that you click on them and they take forever to load. Just sit and wait and it'll eventually surface.

CyberChuck

joe90ak
24-01-2004, 09:23 AM
Thanks Robby,

looks like it has all the info I need... will take a deep breath and make a strong cup of coffee before I try it :)

Joe