PDA

View Full Version : Nero backups

susievb
23-01-2004, 04:35 PM
I have got a CD burner with Nero software. I have no trouble to burn CD-R but when it comes to CD-RW's I'm at a loss. I know that they have to be formatted first before they can be used like a floppy disk in saving information, but I have looked in the help section of Nero but cannot find/or understand in plain english how to format the CDRW and put information a bit at a time like a floppy disk.

Does any know? And please explain in plain english, thanks

Fire-and-Ice
23-01-2004, 04:51 PM
To use the CD-RW discs like a floppy disk you need to use InCD which comes with Nero and should have been installed with Nero. InCD will format your disc for you first then you can use it like a floppy, eg drag and drop files with InCD.

Be aware that CD-RW discs are not as reliable as CD-R discs and you often can only use them in the drive that they were created. By that I mean if you wish to transfer files onto another computer it will probably baulk. ;-)

Tom McB
23-01-2004, 06:49 PM
I use Nero 5.5.10.12 which came with my PC. I use it to backup files on CD-R, CD-RW and DVD+RW media - no probs. I use the Recorder/Erase ReWriteable menu option to prepare the disks. You can do either quick erase or full erase, the latter being longer but the former should be fine as well.
I also have Nero in my other (slower) machine - CD-R and CD-RW only. Have had no problems swapping/reading disks made from the other machine (and vice versa). Brought a CD to the office and was able to read my disks from my workstation as well. This is all data content though.
I haven't used In-CD; I understand formatting disks under it would eat up a few MB e.g. you'd end up with <650MB - others might want to confirm/refute this.

Regards
Tom

Fire-and-Ice
23-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Your method with backing up to CD-RW discs is what I have tried recently Tom. It works well and as long as the disc is finalised it can be read on the other computer. Only trouble is that the original poster wants to use the CD-RW discs like a floppy and as far as I know using InCD is the only way to do it with the bundled Nero software.

Peter H
23-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Correct.
Bye

susievb
25-01-2004, 11:09 AM
Thank you Fire and Ice, as it turn out InCD was not installed when the drive and Nero software was put in. But now that I knew what I was looking for I have installed it and formatted my CDRW's and all is fine
Thank you again.
Susie