PDA

View Full Version : IT industry customer service

Greg S
23-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Some of us have had reason to ***** and moan about slack after-sales customer service. But here's a couple of good examples of exemplary service:

Philips: They sell their monitors with an wonderful 3 year on-site warranty. Yup - they live up to it. My complaint was that I found the geometry settings impossible to calibrate correctly, and generally the display was too dark, on my 107T. Philips almost immediately sent round a technician from a contractor, who took said monitor, and left me with a temporary replacement. Not long after I received an entirely brand new unit (a slightly later model even). Wow I was impressed.

Monaco: These guys distribute Pioneer, TDK and a fair bit of other kit. I have a set of TDK speakers from my local favourite PC dealer, and although I've had a niggle with them since I bought them, I never took them back for a checkup. Lately the problem has exacerbated itself, and I called the supplier (Monaco) to ask, if after the warranty period (over a year ago y'see), would they kindly consider checking the problem. The Service Manager was almost profuse in his enthusiasm "By all means send them back to us and we'll see what we can do" or words to that effect. monacocorp.co.nz

What great service!

robo
23-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Greg, come on, you're going to shatter our collective illusions.

Good service does happen. But I think the general shift is to move towards making it so difficult and slow to get an intelligent person that you give up.
robo.

whetu
23-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Philips didnt get to be the third largest consumer electronics company in the world by doing nothing ;) They've got some of the best customer service I've ever experienced, and people wonder why I stay loyal to their product lines

The 107T was a bit of a dud release... when it first came out it had something like a 42% return rate, and the geometry on everyone I've used has taken about half an hour to get to an acceptable setting. They're good monitors, dont get me wrong, they just need a bit of patience to setup.

Dolby Digital
23-01-2004, 05:13 PM
Re Philips, I had a 15" which I think only had a one year warranty (?). One week after the warranty expired, the monitor packed up. It cost me $120 and only one resistor needed replacing. Do you think I should have called Philips (the shop where I purchased it said to take it straight to Next as it was out of warranty).

robo
23-01-2004, 05:27 PM
That's the classic dilemma: fix or replace. I had an HP laser that would have cost $300 to fix. $400 got me a new one with a warranty and all brand new parts that is way faster. Old one was eight years old.
robo.

zminos
23-01-2004, 05:33 PM
but then in my former job, working for a well known retail chain, you could only "try" to convince a customer that getting an extended warranty was a "really good idea" - only for them not too.

one year and - hours even - later they come in saying x product is not working properly and want it fixed for free.

:)

bmason
23-01-2004, 05:35 PM
I found phillips good to deal with too.

My 107E (IIRC) was faulty when I got it. They offered a temporary replacement (which I didn't need), a courier picked up the old one and sent me a replacement 107T (the next model up).

The geometry on the 107T was a bit dodgy when I got it. The image was pinched in at the bottom, but after a bit of tweaking I could live with it. I've had the screen over a year now and the effect is mostly gone.

Billy T
23-01-2004, 06:23 PM
> Re Philips, I had a 15" which I think only had a one
> year warranty (?). One week after the warranty
> expired, the monitor packed up. It cost me $120 and
> only one resistor needed replacing. Do you think I
> should have called Philips (the shop where I
> purchased it said to take it straight to Next as it
> was out of warranty).

Don't give up so easy next time DD.

Take a look at my post the third post from the end (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=43648) in this thread. Warranties do not automatically expire on the dot of 12 months, you have the overriding right to an expectation of reasonable service life.

There has been considerable advice offered on warranty issues over the last 12-18 months so a search of the archives might be a good idea.

Bad advice/service is not universal either: I just took a digital camera back to Harvey Norman after 13 months because it was intermittently shutting down. I had an extended warranty on it, and that would be exs extinguished if they replace the product or give a cash settlement. It was obsolete (out of production) so if it was replaced I'd automatically do my $149 5-year warranty and have to buy another for the replacement.

Without my even asking, Harvey Norman negotiated with the agent and it was accepted as a standard warranty claim. I will probably get a replacement camera but will still have my 5 year warranty.

Good service and "good luck" follow those who seek them, especially those who don't take as gospel whatever the shop says or their mates think. If I posted the full list of product replacements and out of warranty repairs I have had done you would be amazed.

Politeness, facts and reason make for an almost unassailable argument.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Dolby Digital
23-01-2004, 09:21 PM
>>Don't give up so easy next time DD.
Can't remember how long ago this was; but it was before the Consumer Guarantees Act and I think the general thinking was that the manufacturers warranty was gospel and they had no obligation to provide anything outside of that warranty period. Only those companies who appreciated their customer base stepped outside the warranty period.

As a contrast; I had a Nissan motor vehicle. The ABS system developed a fault in the "black box" ($$$$$$). The vehicle was out of warranty (by months from memory). Without prompting, the local dealer managed to get a replacement and fixed it at no charge to me. That was great.

Greg S
23-01-2004, 11:05 PM
Whetu... sounds like you're a techie guy? When I first spoke to the Philips helpdesk support person re my 107T geometry problem she told me a method of getting into super-user settings by switching monitor off, holding both + and - buttons (or some such thing) and switching back on to get to an advanced geometry settings menu. Any idea on how to get there on my new 107S5?

My geometry is reasonably set, but I'm just a very curious Greg S :D

Greg S
23-01-2004, 11:36 PM
> Old one was eight years old.
> robo.

These damn HP printers are almost bullet-proof - 8 years is a good life! My DJ 600 is nearly that old and only recently developed a mechanical glitch.

I just wish I could find a decent alternative ink cartridge supplier - both the Calidads I've tried over the last couple years have flunked

Laura
24-01-2004, 04:20 AM
Nice one, Greg S, to post praise for a supplier, rather than a moan..

The resulting comments give us all something to think about.

Greg S
24-01-2004, 05:30 AM
> Nice one, Greg S,

Thanks Laura