PDA

View Full Version : Backup zip file corrupted!

mejobloggs
23-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Extracting to "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\"
Use Path: yes Overlay Files: yes
Extracting outlook.pst

I/O error - unable to read from zip file
Error: invalid compressed data to inflate

Trying to restore backup, and that comes up. Is there anyway I can repair this?

Babe Ruth
23-01-2004, 01:23 PM
mejobloggs,

You could try using the PKZIPFIX utility which will attempt to reconstruct the specified ZipFile and create PKFIXED.ZIP, and hopefully
recover files from the original ZIP file. You can then use WinZip or PKUNZIP to extract the files from PKFIXED.ZIP.
The utility runs in a DOS command window or XP CMD or COMMAND window.

The PKZIPFIX utility is available from PKZipFix (http://ftp.pcworld.com/pub/new/utilities/compression/pkz204g.exe)

Cheers, Babe.

mejobloggs
23-01-2004, 01:35 PM
Ok, that doesnt work, It seems to be a problem with the CD.

It is on a re-writable wich is probably the problem, because they are not as good as normal cd r.

Gutted, anyway to fix the CD?

Fire-and-Ice
23-01-2004, 02:06 PM
How did you write the data to the CD? Was the disc finalised? If you used InCD you may have to use it to read the CD as well. I have also found that a CD-RW written on one computer to be unreadable on the other (older) computer but fine in the drive that created it.

Davesdad
23-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Try copying the zip file to your HDD before extracting

Graham L
23-01-2004, 05:36 PM
I have never had any success with Zip fixers. That's the major problem with compression ---it removes redundancy. Redundancy is what gives you some room for errors.

Unfortunately. there are several parts to "backups". Most people seem to think that only the first part is necessary.

The parts are:
1) Do it.
2) Check it. READ IT BACK, and compare with the original.
3) Make at least one other copy, and check that. (With ½" magnetic tapes, three copies was normal).

There are a few others, like store a copy at another site. I heard of one place doing contract research. The work was all backed up on floppies, every day. The lab was burgled and the computer stolen. The backups (for convenience) were kept beside the computer. They went too. :_|

But if you haven't at least checked that you can READ the backup correctly, you haven't got a backup.

mejobloggs
23-01-2004, 06:02 PM
I can open the zip file, but I cant do anything with it, like copy it do hard druve, or unzip

Graham L
23-01-2004, 06:09 PM
Is this a .ZIP file produced by WinZip or PKZIP, or a product of some backup programme? Can't DOS copy it? You might be able to use the DOS PKUNZIP on the file ... and if it has files inside it,try extracting one at a time. This will often work with files up to the bad point.

mejobloggs
23-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Yeah tried that. Unfortunately, the bad point seems to be 140mb through a 500mb file. Anyway, got my other computer back now, so dont need this, and will make another backup.

thewhiz
08-07-2004, 02:23 PM
I have mission Critical Files on a 1.3 GB Zip File But when i open it i get
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not a Zip file, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part Zip file.
What can i do?

Graham L
08-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Again, you have a problem. ;-)

Try a DOS version of PKZIP. Use the "test" option to see what files are "findable" Then you should be able to extract one file at a time.
You might be able to do this with WinZip ... I haven't looked. ;-)

There is a GNU free "zip" which runs in DOS, there might even be a Windows version.

metla
08-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Have those of you having problems tried looking inside the archive and extracting files 1 by 1?