PDA

View Full Version : Driver for old VDU

tylden
23-01-2004, 10:53 AM
I am trying to get my old computer working for my wife to try and see if she can manage computing. I have spare keyboard and mouse, but the only VDU I have is an old IBM 8515. When I boot up, I get the normal loading rubbish, and the Windows 98 logo comes up in colour, but after that all I get is a purple mush. The VDU was used with an IBM 286 years ago. Does it need a different driver, where can I download one, or should I throw it in the bin and get a new screen?

ThumbFinger
23-01-2004, 11:35 AM
try getting a new driver from www.driverguide.com (username=drivers password=all) and load them on to it.

If you are only getting purple, not just a tint of purple, that should work.

If not, try tapping F8 when windows loads, and then select Safe Mode. A dialog should pop up and tell you about Safe Mode. Click OK. Right-click on the desktop, and choose Properties. Click on 'Settings'
up the top and drag the screen resolution down to the lowest option (the slider on the left), and change the amount of colors to its lowest setting too. click on OK and restart your computer. It should work.

If you can't do either of these, I'm afraid I can't help you.

Graham L
23-01-2004, 05:44 PM
I like those old IBM monitors... they give very clear text.But I don't think they'll do high resolutions. You might get 800x600, but start at 640x480,and 256 colours. That's probably what the logo is.