PDA

View Full Version : really OT ......shotgun shells

tweak\'e
23-01-2004, 12:02 AM
for you late nighters and early birds........

whats a good 12g shell for shooting possums at close range and not blow holes in the shed roof? 28g target loads do go ok, the shock kills em but thats only a really close range. size 4 shot 36g loads make to much of a mess. ideas ??

MrBeef
23-01-2004, 12:29 AM
I live on a farm and i can tell you that most/any shotgun shell is gunna leave some wholes in the roof.

Why dont you just get a really long stick and a cricket bat. Thats what me and my mate did, prodded it with a stick to make it fall off rafters in hay barn and then i did a nice offside drive into its head.

Let the good times roll

tweak\'e
23-01-2004, 09:49 AM
thx for that.

unfortunatly the local possums are tough little buggers, hitting them with baseball bats or axes just annoys them. i'll just have to make sure there off the roof before i shoot em ;-)

brewer
23-01-2004, 10:27 AM
Thought about a .22 airgun?

MrBeef
23-01-2004, 11:06 AM
i have a .177 air rifle
all it does it f*ck them off.

you say you hit them with the axe? mustn be very sharp...

Craig
23-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Don't use a shotgun unless you want to see how many pieces you can
get a possum into. A .22 air rifle should do, but then again, it would be quite interesting to see how many pieces you could split a possum into...

Graham L
23-01-2004, 06:04 PM
What is the recommended cartridge for computers?

Laura
23-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Our Central Otago possums can be killed by a .22.

As they're not accomodating enough to stay as a target on shed roofs, they're located in trees...usually at night.

So unless you have amazing vision, a two-person operation is best. One holds the spotlight for the shooter.

Have you considered a trap instead? I don't mean things with jaws which are a danger, but the cage type which gets baited with some fruit. Of course, the result is a captured live possum.

Some local bodies lend traps. Some in cities will take them away & do the disposal for you. My sister in Auckland has used that service.

Our small Central Otago community has one which gets moved around the neighbours as required. We don't remember who actually owns it, but it's done sterling service for years (And the tough guys do the easy killing & the nearest farm offal hole gets the results)

And we still marvel at how an animal once considered a native bush problem only has managed to adapt so fast to our high country terrain & dry climate. When I was a child, possums were unknown in Central Otago.

Mind you, so were wasps.....

Winston001
23-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Well Laura I'd use an 8 shot load on the wasps. 6 should fix an opossum :D

Winston001
23-01-2004, 08:10 PM
And Graham? I understand the FBI use Mossburgs with a magnum load and solid slug. When asked for their best cartridge, Hewlett Packard went curiously puce and made a strangled noise.

dumdum
23-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Fill the shells with dripping and let it set,.....you`ll enjoy the result.
A tried and true method.
DD.

Laura
23-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the advice Winston001

But my in-house shooter tells me our wasps would just laugh at that.

We breed 'em big at our place.

hamstar
24-01-2004, 12:08 AM
>unfortunatly the local possums are tough little buggers, hitting them with baseball bats or axes just annoys them

ROTFLMAO!!!

me and my m8 tried to see how many pieces we could get a possum into.

using claybird shots we managed about 742 pieces average. lol

Laura
24-01-2004, 01:57 AM
Time to acknowledge here the feller who did 4 thousand posts.

I did that in another post.

Others may wish to add their thanks for the 4 thousand, rather than the kiddie comments from people who never looked a possum in the eyes & certainly never killed one.

tweak\'e
24-01-2004, 06:28 PM
yeah we do have traps but thats a pain to setup and we have cats.

as far as the axe goes, it was with the back end......the sharp side just skids off.

shot gun works a treat, no it dosn't blow em into pieces. just a inch hole in one side and a big bloody hole on the other. 30-30 and 8mm does about the same sort of damage ;-)

and finally to young hamstar...... you guys must have wuzzy possums cause the one i shot (at about 2 metre range) with the target ie claybird shot just blew some fur off it. the shock killed it and there wasn't even a hole in it.

thanks laura you summed it up nicly ;-)

tedheath
24-01-2004, 09:56 PM
8 mm lol, is it a Mauser action? They were the standard german gun like our SMLE. The bullet from these babies will go through the possum, through your pinex roof, through a rafter, through the corrugated iron and speed off and shoot down any passing airliner.
I always wondered why the germans lost the war when they had the best rifle.
I dont suppose you can use a shot gun shell greater than 4 shot otherwise you wont kill the posssum humanely. With number four and below you are still going to be buggered with the shot taking the roof out.
I live in Dorkland and you cant shoot possums here without getting a visit from AOS. I use a crossbow made from a car spring its wicked but not as accurate as a rifle especialy at night when you are holding a torch in the other hand.
My mate gave me a couple of boxes of his homemade shot, its got 9 lead balls sorta like 00. I havent used any of it on animals yet.
This post isnt that much OT.

cheers tedheath

exLL
24-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Regarding holding a torch in one hand and the rifle in the other, a farmer I knew used to tape his torch to the rifle barrel.

He said that once you got used to it and made allowance for distance etc, it was just a case of pointing the torch beam at the possum and pulling the trigger.

In the interests of a softer method for the poor possum, what about delivering a KO punch by using a speargun with a boxing glove on the end of the shaft. :)

Fire-and-Ice
24-01-2004, 10:53 PM
If you can hold the wriggler still, have plenty of brawn in your arm and an accurate aim a hammer does the job quite nicely. ;-)

hamstar
24-01-2004, 11:14 PM
If you can hold the wriggler still, have plenty of brawn in your arm and an accurate aim a hammer does the job quite nicely.

:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^ O:^O:^O

THATS THE RUGGEDEST FUNNIEST THING IVE HEARD ALL WEEK!!!!

Greg S
25-01-2004, 02:45 AM
I recommend getting serious and use one of these (http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh10-e.htm)

jcr1
25-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Any shot load will do the job, provided you are not too far away from the target and presuming you are shooting possums in the dark, then you won't be. A 12g. shotgun, at close enough range will put down anything.
But generally, shooting possums is a waste of time, unless you are trapping and/or poisoning at the same time over a large area, as other possums will just come into the void you've created; sort of like creating a possum vacuum.
I shot possums for years and years, all to no avail (i preferred a .22, less noise than a shotgun, cheaper ammo, at least something could be done with the skin). It wasn't until the Regional Council did a controlled, professional knock down over a large area (couple of thousand acres - roughly) that we had progress. Now it is compulsary for land owners to maintain possum numbers at that low level and each year a group of us hire a professional trapper to do the job. Its worked out really well, the rose garden and trees we've planted are looking the best they've ever looked.

MrBeef
25-01-2004, 10:20 AM
A PROFESSIONAL TRAPPER!!?!?!

what the hell.

Yeh our regional council layed heapps and heaps and heaps and heaps and a bit more bait around the Northland area (Whangarei)

I went for a walk once around our farm and i found about 14 dead possums. THey had taken the poison which was cyanide covered in a yummy possum taste.

But now we have to go our and kill our possums, its all good.

jcr1
25-01-2004, 11:47 AM
Yes, we have to kill our own possums now as well, the Taranaki Regional Council have made it a requirement. But like I said this is only after the initial knockdown was done and the TRC contracted Manawatu Wanganui Regional Council to do the job. Then when they had finished checked the reults by putting out strategic trap lines and that is the standard that we are supposed to maintain. So about a dozen of us put our heads together and tendered out a decent sized block that would appeal to a trapper and out of those that came with TRC recommendation and had a safety policy in place and poisons qualification etc. , we selected one, who did the job, then TRC checked the results which were good. Cost us a bit of money, but we don't have the problem and anyway there's too much work on a farm these days to be involved with trapping possums. And hey! I've got to have a bit of time to play on my computer and get involved with forums like this.
Last word; poisoning or trapping on their own, not enough, it's got to be a combination of both.

tweak\'e
25-01-2004, 01:32 PM
yes tedheath its the mauser action. orignal ww2 german rifle. tho its the short ver not the longer infantry ver. one of the many imported here after ww2. very good for deer and pig hunting. you can buy good crossbows tho they never seem to be as accurate as a bow. a bow is a good optoin useing bird arrows (they only travel 20-40 ft).

a mate uses a 410 shotgun but i can't afford yet another gun. i might have a look at reloading some target shells with larger size shot.
i have a 22 here at the mo but due to the amount of stock and houses its not a good thing to use.

i'm not trying to wipe them out just get rid of a few annoying ones. i might do a spotlight later on this year, tho the possum shooting contest usually does a good job at wipeing most of them out.

John H
25-01-2004, 04:30 PM
My father used to use a 410 - a beautiful little side by side shotgun made in the Liege works in Belgium. It was a work of art, but sadly it has not come down to me.

The other thing he used to use was a Ford Zephyr 6. He often used to hit possums on the road but they were never there when he came back, so he concluded that a Zephyr 6 was not as effective as a 410 shotgun.

In my own experience, concrete blocks don't work. I once saw a very large concrete block dropped on the head of possum. It (the block) shattered and the possum ran off...

The most effective thing I ever saw on a possum was an old Border Collie *****. Mind you, she had some help from several of her older offspring. The possum got pulled in six different directions and it was all over very fast.

I am sure you all wanted these details... Product of a misspent rural upbringing.

Fire-and-Ice
25-01-2004, 05:56 PM
> In my own experience, concrete blocks don't work. I
> once saw a very large concrete block dropped on the
> head of possum. It (the block) shattered and the
> possum ran off...

Yeah, possums have heads made of steel. My previous post about whacking one with a hammer is really only useful for the ones caught live in traps and even then its not easy to delete them. :D

tedheath
25-01-2004, 06:44 PM
delete them lol

tedheath