PDA

View Full Version : SuSE Linux 8.2 joining existing Network

Nigel Thomson
22-01-2004, 09:40 PM
Greetings all

The Network
2 windows machines (one is XP, one is 2k dual boot SuSE)
belong to network called "workgroup"
All connect to a hub
Hub connects to a router

The problem
The SuSE set up detected my nforce network card
But I need to set up the network so the SuSE box can access the web and possibly the shared folders on the XP machine,

My searches invaribly end up at sites that require me to join, or sites about laptops, i have set up a network on a slacware based machine ages ago but that was more luck than skill.

Thanks People

Nigel

Chilling_Silently
22-01-2004, 09:46 PM
Try this for starters and see if it'll bring your network up:
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2
route add default gw 192.168.0.1

Run that as root....
You might want to edit /etc/resolv.conf and add:
nameserver 202.27.184.3

You'll be wanting Samba to share with Windows, but we'll get to that soon...

Im not too sure what the GUI is for SuSE, or where it stores its network config files, but try YaST32 :-)

Cheers

Chill.

Nigel Thomson
23-01-2004, 05:17 PM
just did an ipconfig on the windows side

and the default gateway is 192.168.1.1 so i will enter this (kinda weird as every other network i have seen is the 192.168.0.1 type)

thanks and i will try the above

oh and my mouse is now working, a reboot seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks and I'll be back (if there are problems)

Nigel Thomson
23-01-2004, 06:59 PM
As promised I'm back

Hmm well, that didn't work,
during boot up eth0 seems to fail, (had thought it was the service above it that was failing) // this is probably the source of all my problems but heres what I did any way

I was unable to enter the commands above in a shell, (I've lost the piece of paper I wrote the errors down on)
I went in to Yast Control Center to the network card section
it said the card was ...
Asustek nforce2 ethernet controller configured as eth0 with dhcp

so i tried editing this, setting the ip address to 192.168.1.2 and the gateway to 192.168.1.1

Still it didn't work

everytime I tried pinging anything I got
network unreachable

So I would be grateful for any help

Thanks people

Nigel Thomson
28-01-2004, 03:50 PM
Well I'm back again,
extensive googling has failed to provide me with the answer, (although knowing me I probably forgot to turn the service on),
and the on SuSE site i did sign up with turned out to be a social services one rather than a Linux one.

anywho I would like to hear if anyone has had a similar problem with Linux and how they fixed it

Thanks
Nigel

Graham L
28-01-2004, 04:16 PM
From a google with "nforce2 ethernet linux", it seem that there are a few "problems" with this ethernet controller. :-( A posting here (http://www.linuxcompatible.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=923) looks helpful.

My personal approach would be to plug in a PCI card which is known to work with Linux, and disable the nforce2 interface. :D Life is too short to struggle with some "challenges". :D

Chilling_Silently
28-01-2004, 05:40 PM
I agree Graham,
For $15 you can get a Realtek 8139-based card. They've gotta be the best/easiest cards to install!

Hope you get it sorted :-)

Chill.