PDA

View Full Version : BenQ CD writer doesn't recognise blank or data CD's

Jerry
22-01-2004, 06:56 PM
My CD writer was working find but now a glitch has occurred. When I place a blank CDR or CDRW in the drive it doesn't recognise that it's present or in some cases the disk is blank. I have both Prassi PrimoCD Plus and Nero installed and both show the same error. This is even a problem with disks that already have data on them. If I place a pre-recorded CD in the CD writer it recognises it as an audio disk and will play, however I can't record audio disks either. I tried recently with Nero but got the error message "no seek complete", then "medium not present". Prassi just indicates I need a valid disk. I reinstalled the software to burn CD's and this made no difference. I've checked the drivers and it does not show there is any conflict. My CD rom drive works fine for both reading data and audio disks. Is this a hardware error? I am running Windows Me with an AMD Duron processor.

Megaman
22-01-2004, 07:13 PM
from what it sounds like it is your cd writer. at least you know what brand your writer is. try getting some updated drivers. if that doesn't work try another brand of disk. if still no joy make sure the ide cable is firmly in at both ends. then try another ide cable (no don't take the one from your hard drive). if after this it doesn't work it is most likely the actual drive

godfather
22-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Make sure that DMA is enabled for the drive. (Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager - IDE ports)

The seek error indicates that it doesnt like the media.
The laser output may have dropped off which could mean the drive is failing?

nadius
22-01-2004, 07:21 PM
hello,
cd-writers have 2 lasers in them. one for reading and one for writing. maybe the "write laser" has died...

what i don't get is that is can't read empty discs....

i'm curious, how old is your writer?

nadius
22-01-2004, 07:26 PM
on second thought, perhaps i mis-interpreted that which i read. maybe they don't actually have 2 seperate lasers.... i'm thinking it's probably 1 laser with 2 different intensities..

can anyone confirm this?

Jerry
22-01-2004, 11:06 PM
Hi Nadius

My CD writer is over a year old now. I did see a post on F1 with comments there has been a high failure rate with BenQ CD writers which doesn't make me feel very confident that it is an easy fix other than replacing the drive.