PDA

View Full Version : Monitor stopped working

agent
22-01-2004, 04:23 PM
Earlier today, while I was typing a document up in MS Word, my monitor sort of died. It went black, and the power saving feature whereby the power LED will flick off to show the monitor has switched itself off flashed between green and off about 10 times, after which it went orange (which it only usually does when the computer has powered off but the monitor hasn't been physically turned off).

I turned the monitor off and back on a few times, but it did the same thing. I saved my document and restarted but it was still blank.

I know the problem isn't related to the computer itself or the cables between the computer and the monitor, as I'm currently using it fine with a 15" monitor (so small, especially considering there's almost an inch of space between the glass edges and the image itself...).

In case it's relevant, the monitor that stopped working is the same one which I had a problem with last year (it wouldn't project green, and the technician who fixed it said it would probably last for years), which was used in graphics work before we used it (always on, AFAIK).

Billy T
22-01-2004, 04:38 PM
Probably time for a suitably sombre funeral Agent.

Although anything can be repaired, the cost is not usually viable and unless you can find somebody who will look at it and quote without charging it is probably time to find another.

The only other hope is an internal software glitch that might allow it to run again if powered off for a while then re-started. It's a bit like a hard reboot.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Babe Ruth
22-01-2004, 04:40 PM
agent,

Well I would take it back to

> the technician who fixed ...

and get them to check it {fix it} for you

Cheers, Babe.

Billy T
22-01-2004, 09:21 PM
It is an entirely different fault though Babe, so Agent is likely to incur inspection and quote charges even if he doesn't get it fixed.

It is a personal decision whether to spend money or not as it sounds like it was well used before it got to its present home.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

agent_24
23-01-2004, 12:05 AM
mine did that once, but mainly due to the video card overheating because of certain "problems".