PDA

View Full Version : **Hardware Malfunction**

deswa
22-01-2004, 11:31 AM
System is HP Vectra VE, PII 266, heaps of RAM and HDD space and running Win2K.
Occasionally, I get a blue screen with the following error;
**Hardware malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
***The system has halted***

Rebooting sometimes works, other times it may not, or may run for 5 or 10 minutes then revert back to this screen. Other times, it works for hours on end. There is nothing obvious to me that causes this, and certainly nothing I do causes this problem. Checking the BIOS, it appears to have no temperature reading (which I suspect could be the problem) so how else could I find out? Does anyone else have any ideas?

Babe Ruth
22-01-2004, 12:56 PM
deswa,

Here are a couple of articles on resolving the issues indicated by the Hardware Malfunction message. This is from the MS KB Hardware Malfunction Results in System Error Message (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q222/9/73.asp) and the following one from MSN Hardware Malfunction Messages (http://groups.msn.com/TheCompleteComputerResource/hardwaremalfunctionmessagesandstopmessagechecklist .msnw). See also the links from each of them for advice.

HTH
Cheers, Babe.

M@TT
22-01-2004, 12:57 PM
If you suspect the cooling then the best way to check is to open up your pc and start it up with the lid off. Check to see if the fan is still going and is not blocked by anything.
Also check the power supply fan. (you never know).

If the fan is still going ok then it maybe something else.

hope this helps

Murray P
22-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Have you tried the HP diagnostic and error logs. They may provide a device or address of the trouble. You can access them at boot up IIRC.

Cheers Murray P

deswa
22-01-2004, 04:25 PM
Thank you all for your help - especially the links! As soon as it cools down in my computer room and it's bearable to work in, I'll try everything suggested!

Babe Ruth
22-01-2004, 04:34 PM
deswa,

> As soon as it cools down in my computer room and it's bearable to work in

Maybe you should get the air-conditioning sorted in the computer room first! :-)