PDA

View Full Version : XP Home networking problem

tbacon_nz
22-01-2004, 09:27 AM
We have 2 PCs (A & B) permanently networked and a laptop (C) sometimes added. A & B run XP home, C runs Win98SE.

Occasionally PC B disappears from view on the network. It seems to be when A is booted then B is booted. If you try to map a drive on B from A you get the message "The drive could not be mapped because no network was found". If you do the same from B to A you get the message "The network path xxx could not be found". If C is plugged in, it can be seen from A but not from B, and can see A but not B. If you shut down B (actually power it off) and restart, the problem usually cures itself.

So I guess there is a problem with B - but what? My initial reaction was a network card problem, but I swapped in a different card and it made no difference.

Any ideas?

TIA

Tony

JohnD
22-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Tony - could you tell us what networking protocol you are using - presumably TCP/IP?

If so, how are you allocating the TCP/IP addresses? - manually presumably since XP will not have DHCP (am I right?)

So presumably you have unique TCP/IP addresses?

Sorry if all this is sorted but you haven't detailed this info.

tbacon_nz
22-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Good questions -
Yes I am using TCP/IP.

PC A has a fixed IP address

PC B (the problem one) uses DHCP

PC C (laptop on Win98SE) uses DHCP

I'll try assigning fixed IP addersses and see what happens.

Thanks - watch this space for more info.

tbacon_nz
22-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Curiouser and curiouser...

If I assign a fixed IP address to PC B (the XP Home dodgy one) the network works OK (but as the issue is intermittent that proves nothing) but the email connectivity goes out of the window!

The laptop (Win98SE) works OK with DHCP or a fixed IP address.

I'm using Wingate to handling my internet connection sharing so I'm just abbout to check settings there.

tbacon_nz
23-01-2004, 08:03 AM
bump

Barnabas
23-01-2004, 09:07 AM
Do you have any other network protocols installed? IPX, NetBUI. I've had similar problems in the past and once I removed the protocols that I wasn't really using (except for playing F1 Grand Prix over the network) everything seemed to work fine.
Just an idea.
B.

tbacon_nz
23-01-2004, 09:17 AM
no, just TCP/IP

Steve Webbie
23-01-2004, 03:33 PM
IF you set all Ip adresses to be fixed - do you still get the problem happening?

tbacon_nz
23-01-2004, 03:57 PM
>IF you set all Ip adresses to be fixed...

It is difficult to answer that as the problem is intermittent anyway, but what definitely happens is that PC B loses email connectivity if it is set to a fixed IP address.

This whole thing is a real PITA and just the sort of hassle I thought XP was not subject to!

Fire-and-Ice
23-01-2004, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure why it happens but if my Win 98 PC is started before the Win XP one then the Win XP can't see the Win 98. If the drives are then mapped it will work however. Not too sure about the reverse direction, ie whether the Win 98 can see the Win XP or not, will have to have a look sometime. And yes it is a PITA. :D

Davesdad
23-01-2004, 05:19 PM
When you set a fixed ip address on PC B set the DNS address as the ip address of PC A and under the advanced tab set the default gateway as the ip address of PC A to access shared internet connections. Failing that run the network setup wizard again.

tbacon_nz
24-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Thanks Davesdad, that looks like it might have fixed it. I certainly have email connectivity now with a fixed IP address. It just remains to be seen if the intermittent loss of network recurs.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. :x

Tony