PDA

View Full Version : Registry Healer

jayal
21-01-2004, 08:02 PM
have been offered "Registry Healer" v4(i think) to load - was wondering if anyone has it or has anyone any thoughts re it?

like, good/bad/helpful/useless/why would you want it? etc.

tweak\'e
21-01-2004, 09:14 PM
i have no idea on how good it is, however i much prefer jv16 power tools.

mikebartnz
22-01-2004, 12:59 AM
Not being rude tweak'e but how can you much prefer something when you haven't tried the other. Sorry but couldn't resist.

Neil McC
22-01-2004, 06:39 AM
I've tried it out,jayal.Compared it to Registry First Aid,and they both found the same things wrong! Only thing to watch is anything to do with Nortons,as I've had problems with RFA affecting NAV,which is easily fixed as you can reload the saved deletions.The program will ask if you want to backup the fixes,(and the registry),which obviously it pays to do!!Handy program,and jv16 finds other items that RFA or RegHealer don't find.

tweak\'e
22-01-2004, 11:11 AM
>Not being rude tweak'e but how can you much prefer something when you haven't tried the other. Sorry but couldn't resist.

good point. a look at their website didn't make much of an impression, little info to be found (mind you it was only a quick look). the main thing with reg cleaners is what they ignore. some programs (exspecially MS) install a lot of dead reg entries that it may use later on, removeing them causes problems. i know jiv16 has been working hard on finding and testing what can and can't be deleted. a lot of reg cleaners give you no idea on what they ignore hence why i do not trust them much.

Fire-and-Ice
22-01-2004, 04:27 PM
> i know jiv16 has been working hard on finding and testing what can and can't be deleted.

Isn't that of little use to those people using older versions of their software prior to the takeover and charging of it though? How can the older versions cope with constant Windows and other software updates? I haven't noticed very many people on this forum willing to fork out for it since it ceased to be free. ;-)