PDA

View Full Version : Video CD format - how to?

andy
21-01-2004, 06:53 PM
Greetings and happy new year folks.
My problem - I am trying to convert some videos into video CD format disks, which are supposed to play on my DVD player. I have a DSE capture card and can successfully create an MPEG 1 or MPEG 2 file. The software that came with the card also converts this to a format for VCDs. I have Nero V6, which is an OEM version that came with my writer, and this has the option of producing VCDs. Using this, I can produce a disk that has several folders on it (with names like VCD, CDI, EXT, MPEGAV, Pictures and Segment) but no files in the root folder. This VCD will play on the Nero Media Player, but when I put it in the DVD player it just shows "no disk". (I'm running Win XP on a P4 2.4g machine if thats important and the DVD player is an RCA). So what am I doing wrong? I know the DVD player does play VCDs - I have some still-picture slideshow VCDs produced with other software (these do have an executable file in the root folder) and they play sweet. I want to use VCD format as most of the videos are only half an hour long and blank cds are a lot cheaper than dvds. Any suggestions are welcome.
Cheers,
andy

chiefnz
22-01-2004, 12:47 AM
First question... Do you have the VCD plugin for Nero, you say you can view the video.... are you actually writing the VCD with Nero.

If not then you will need to acquire the VCD plugin for Nero before you can actually burn it on to CD.

If you're using the software which came with the DSE capture card then it could be a version conflict with your DVD player and the VCD version your software is using to write the VCD

hope that helps

cheers
chiefnz

nirbhayn
22-01-2004, 01:11 AM
Hi
Big pain aye, wel just use UleadVideo Studio u can capture as wel as burn it in vcd format which wil play on ur dvd player.

andy
22-01-2004, 08:51 AM
Thanx,
I have tried again, now using the software that came with my DVD burner - Ulead Movie factory. It captured and recorded the disk, first as a VCD then as a svcd - still "no disk" when put in the DVD player, although both played okay using PowerDVD player on the PC. I am beginning to suspect the DVD player, but how do I confirm it as the problem? I have recorded some MP3s on the same media, and they play in the DVD player sweet so I guess the blank CDs are okay - I'm stumped!

metla
22-01-2004, 09:06 AM
Take your home made vcd into a store,tell em your looking for a model that will play them and try them out on a few machines,should become quite obvious after 2 or 3 machines whether or not its the cd or your player at fault.

andy
25-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Sorry about the delay - its been a busy few days here! First chance I've had to go online for days. Thanks for the advice people. The problem is definitely my DVD player. It has stopped being able to read VCD disks that it previously could. It can't even read some music CDs (real ones). It doesn't seem to be able to read any home made DVD disks either, so I guess a new one is required. Best I investigate before the guts drops out of the NZ dollar!
Cheers,
andy

Fire-and-Ice
25-01-2004, 02:12 PM
> The problem is
> definitely my DVD player. It has stopped being able
> to read VCD disks that it previously could. It can't
> even read some music CDs (real ones). It doesn't seem
> to be able to read any home made DVD disks either, so
> I guess a new one is required.

What brand of player is it and how old? If it's fairly new (ie <2 years or so) I would be running back to the shop with it, out of warranty or not. ;-)

andy
25-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Its an RCA (Thomson Electronics). It is around 2 years old. I'm going to email them tomorrow and see if they can help. Another query tho - if I make a DVD with my writer, should it play on any DVD player, or will they only recognise certain types of disk (DVD +r, -r etc) if at all?

tommy
25-01-2004, 09:26 PM
> Its an RCA (Thomson Electronics). It is around 2
> years old. I'm going to email them tomorrow and see
> if they can help.
I would definitely expect some sort of compensation, preferably a replacement writer, if yours is around two years old. A writer would be expected to last much longer than that.

Another query tho - if I make a DVD
> with my writer, should it play on any DVD player, or
> will they only recognise certain types of disk (DVD
> +r, -r etc) if at all?
According to the November 2003 issue of NZ PC World "all five DVD formats generate discs that most DVD-ROM drives and standalone DVD players can read (the exception: DVD-RAM.....).