PDA

View Full Version : My Computer just Died!!!!

mejobloggs
21-01-2004, 11:47 AM
Just sitting there playing a game, and my computer locked up, ctrl alt delete didnt work, so I restarted.

Now when I turn it on, it just goes beeep, beeep, beeep <pause> beeep, beeep, beeep etc.

The screen stays blank, and nothing happens.

WHAAT!!!

This computer has been fine untill now!

Xp Pro
Athlon XP 2000
256mb Ram
Geforce 2

mejobloggs
21-01-2004, 11:50 AM
3 long beeps, what is that? CPU over heat or something?

Tobas
21-01-2004, 12:11 PM
You firstly need to know what make of BIOS the system uses as the beep codes differ.

If you can get to another computer, do a Google search entering something like Computer Beep Codes and all will be revealed.

If no internet access is possible, post here yr BIOS and someone will look it up for U :-)

Billy T
21-01-2004, 12:13 PM
You will need to know your Bios brand/type, but take a look Here (http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.php/id/49) which was found by a two minute search of the PF1 archives.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Babe Ruth
21-01-2004, 12:17 PM
Adding to what others have said, without knowing your BIOS you can also go to BIOSCentral (http://bioscentral.com/) to check.

Cheers, Babe.

mejobloggs
21-01-2004, 01:20 PM
AMI bios, but I dont know what version

tweak\'e
21-01-2004, 01:30 PM
sounds like ram failure.

beama
21-01-2004, 02:50 PM
AMI bios beep codes

1 short DRAM refresh failure The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has probably failed
2 short Memory parity error A memory parity error has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad
3 short Base 64K memory failure A memory failure has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad
4 short System timer failure The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory
5 short Processor error The system CPU has failed
6 short Gate A20 failure The keyboard controller IC has failed, which is not allowing Gate A20 to switch the processor to protected mode. Replace the keyboard controller
7 short Virtual mode processor exception error The CPU has generated an exception error because of a fault in the CPU or motherboard circuitry
8 short Display memory read/write error The system video adapter is missing or defective
9 short ROM checksum error The contents of the system BIOS ROM does not match the expected checksum value. The BIOS ROM is probably defective and should be replaced
10 short CMOS shutdown register read/write error The shutdown for the CMOS has failed
11 short Cache error The L2 cache is faulty
1 long, 2 short Failure in video system An error was encountered in the video BIOS ROM, or a horizontal retrace failure has been encountered
1 long, 3 short Memory test failure A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB
1 long, 8 short Display test failure The video adapter is either missing or defective
2 short POST Failure One of the hardware testa have failed
1 long POST has passed all tests

mejobloggs
21-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Does that mean I need new RAM then?

It just crashed again, and this is what it said.

Check to be sure you have enough disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disavle it, or update it. Try changing vidio adapters. Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable memory options such as caching or shadowing.

Technical Info.

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0x80000003, 0xF7EE286, 0xF9E4DE5C, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory.

I have 10gb free, dunno why it would be any drivers, as they have been going fine. Rescently installed Motherboard Monitor, and that installed a driver, so I got rid of that. Changed video drivers just in case, dont understand the rest.

What does that tell you?

Seems odd, I have 2 computers, coming up 1 1/2 years old, so nice and outside a 1 year warranty, and now they are crashing like crazy. Hmmmm.

Lucky I got a 3 year warranty.

Billy T
21-01-2004, 04:14 PM
I can't see a RAM fault stopping POST as RAM can't be checked until POST is running. When I had crook RAM I could at least get partially through the boot process before the computer spat the dummy.

Others may know better, but I'm picking something more fundamental and maybe you computer has lost a power supply rail?

Keep us posted :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Babe Ruth
21-01-2004, 04:37 PM
mejobloggs,

I presume you have or are following the information from KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/bccodes_59k7.asp)
e.g. is there any further information in your event logs etc.

Babe.

Billy T
21-01-2004, 08:36 PM
>>Now when I turn it on, it just goes beeep, beeep,
>>beeep <pause> beeep, beeep, beeep etc.
>>The screen stays blank, and nothing happens.

>I presume you have or are following the information
>from KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED e.g. is
>there any further information in your event logs etc.

I don't think is gets beyond the switch-on and beeps Babe. From the description POST doesn't even get off the ground. I could be wrong though.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Pheonix
21-01-2004, 08:47 PM
Billy T , read the post above your first post. Appears it has started again..sort of.
Try downloading memtest86 (http://www.webattack.com/get/memtest86.html) , copy to bootable floppy and after booting up, run it.
That is provided you can get past the POST. :D

Pheonix
21-01-2004, 08:49 PM
oops that should have been your post prvious to your last one.....it is all so confusing, sorry BillyT.

mejobloggs
21-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Just to sort things out, yes it is going, and has only crashed once since then, and that was the one I typed out for you.

I will give that memtest a shot too.

Where can I check error logs and such?

Billy T
21-01-2004, 11:09 PM
On that basis I vote for memory and I don't trust testing software as it gave my dud RAM a clean bill of health.

Best test is to try each stick individually or use a stick out of your other computer.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Pheonix
21-01-2004, 11:39 PM
I agree with you totally. But if you don't have 2 sticks, then it is the next best thing.
Just had a run of memory problems lately for some reason. They seem to cover a whole range of symptoms. Had a MSI that wouldn't boot occasionally , with no POST beeps either. Was a faulty stick of DDR RAM.

drcspy
22-01-2004, 07:15 AM
pull the ram........all of it.........then try boot.....of course it wont but see if it gives different beeps or any at all......then replace the ram one at a time.........try different slots...........

then pull the video card check differences int e beeps........then pull any othe rperiphals ............sound card........modem etc etc............
get it down to basics

mejobloggs
22-01-2004, 09:25 AM
I stick of ram. I can't open my case, because I will void warranty.

I seems to be working fine now.

After the sudden "death" couldn't turn it on, then it crashed a couple of times after that, and I thought it was just going to keep crashing every 10 minutes, but now it seems fine, not crashing anymore/

odd?

metla
22-01-2004, 09:32 AM
odd?

Yes and no.

Intermitent errors are always odd,in that they are hard to track down,sometimes disapear for awhile but normally strike back with a vengance,or sometimes just go away(rare,very rare)

You may have had corupt sectors on your hd,which with a bit of luck windows may have identified and marked as not to be used,or a million other plausable explanations.

Pure speculation on my part though.

The psu may be failing,the ram may be failing,the cpu may be failing,the hd may be failing,you may have had poor power being delivered by the socket,some part of windows may be corupt,you may have driver,software whatever clashes.

If its going fine then all is well.....for the time being,but don't be surprised if it starts to happen again

Billy T
22-01-2004, 10:35 AM
> I stick of ram. I can't open my case, because I will
> void warranty.

Opening the case will not void your warranty and don't let anybody tell you it will!

However, if it is under warranty, why waste time here, just take it back for repair. While the warranty is running, you should always document every fault and note every error report. Keep it all in a notebook and then you have something to take to the supplier to aid diagnosis.

I would never run the risk of carrying an intermittent fault right through to the end of the warranty period. You should also remember that once a specific fault is identified, the warranty doesn't expire until it is fixed. No subsequent faults will be covered, but they can't refuse to continue repairs on a fault identified during the warranty period just because it has taken too long to trace or repair.

Of course, if you have that type of fault, it is better to ask for a replacement computer as soon as it becomes apparent that a fix will not be likely.

On that basis I once had a complete car replaced outside the warranty period and you know how tight the motor industry is. I also had a printer replaced after two years for persistent but intermittent distorted text. Other claims have met similar success.

Know your rights and persue them with documentation, persistence and unfailing politeness.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Fire-and-Ice
22-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Well said Billy, my sentiments exactly. ;-)

The sooner you get your computer back to where it came from the better as the longer you leave it the more likely they are to blame you for whatever problem has occured. ;-)

agent_24
23-01-2004, 12:22 AM
> Intermitent errors are always odd,in that they are
> hard to track down,sometimes disapear for awhile but
> normally strike back with a vengance or sometimes
> just go away(rare,very rare)

yeah.. i have the "random error that goes away" problem with my video card. when ever i re-install XP - done that about 6 times for odd reasons - about 3 days afterwards XP will bluescreen crash and display an error message about the video card's IRQ being "equal_to_or_not_less" or some crazy thing. then it will work perfectly untill i re-install windows. (which hasnt happend for a while now..) i dont get it at all, but it works totally fine afterwards so i dont really care.