PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic: NCEA Results

MrBeef
21-01-2004, 12:38 AM
Hi im in 5th form and I passed NCEA Level one!! Woohoo. I got 129 credits. Stoked. Amazed i passed English i musta fluked.

Failed um Algebra and Probabilty in maths. And one more i think in someother subhect.

Website is under extremem load..soo slow

But stoked.

GG

Laura
21-01-2004, 01:25 AM
Well done.

Press F1ers are clapping - all around the country.

Does failing Probability in Maths have anything to do with passing (Improbably) in English..?

Only joking.....Congratulations

Brad H
21-01-2004, 10:28 AM
Im six form last year and are trying to get my results but the site is stopped now. My sister got hers at 930 and I tried 30minutes later and cannot get on

It just goes to show how terrible this new system is.

somebody
21-01-2004, 11:14 AM
It's not the "New System", it's simply the server's being overloaded. The NCEA system itself isn't at fault, it's simply a matter of too many people accessing the NZQA server at one time.

Check your letterbox - a friend of mine got his results in the mail about an hour ago.

Brad H
21-01-2004, 11:21 AM
I didn't mean new computer system I meant the ncea being a new system. I finnaly got on after a half hour of waiting for one page to load. Sorry if I confused anyone but I am a complete hater of NCEA having done some subjects ahead on sc, sfc, and ub

MrBeef
21-01-2004, 11:22 AM
i remember that other thing i failed it was "Apply design principles" in Information Management (computers)

it was 5 credits.

Lucky me i got my results last night from the web. Not a **** show now tho.. hahah

Brad H
21-01-2004, 11:23 AM
I got 105 credits off four subjects with my fith subject being UB stats which I got a B grade

Brad H
21-01-2004, 11:24 AM
I got in using a direct link to:

https://secure.nzqa.govt.nz/for-learners/records/login.do

Pulled it up out of my history because I accesed it last week for UB

mejobloggs
21-01-2004, 11:53 AM
II have been trying since 8.30, no luck yet

Craig
21-01-2004, 12:29 PM
I finally got to the log on page (https://secure.nzqa.govt.nz/for-learners/records/login.do) and entered in my details but can't get any further than that at this stage :(

mejobloggs
21-01-2004, 01:37 PM
I got 134, with a possible 6 more, because it said I was absent, but I was not.

Craig
21-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Wow 134 credits, nice one dude! I got 131 credits, which I'm pleased with considering I did no study. I got 22/24 for Accounting, 24/24 for Economics, 24/24 for English, 21/24 for Geography, 21/24 for Maths and 19/24 for Science. All my results were pretty expected, the areas where I slipped were papers where I hesitated and changed my answers towards the end. I thought I would fail Accounting but I'm glad I did well in that as my mum is a partner in an accounting firm lol.

DangerousDave
21-01-2004, 04:47 PM
still havn't got through... maybe its a good thing ;)

- David

somebody
21-01-2004, 04:59 PM
Letterbox - a friend of mine got his results early this morning in the mail, well before he even tried to log in.

Jester
21-01-2004, 06:46 PM
My School Cert and 6th Form Cert results were via mail, A's B's C's etc and a % mark. No PCs to check, actually the only PCs were in the computer room where the geeks went at lunchtime - and if I remember right they were beige terminals with green screens. <Waits for the cries of "you were lucky, we didn't even have power">

There were none of these incomprehensible subjects (technolgy soft, apply design principles ... what are those??). Good to see that Accounting, Economics, English, Geography, Maths and Science are still there though.

What does 24/24 mean .. 100%? Wow Craig, well done mate :)

Maybe I am getting old - wife is doing a grad diploma in teaching course this year, I shudder at what she will have to get her head around. At least computers don't talk back, much.

Congrats to all the PF1'ers that passed their exams this year :D

Craig
21-01-2004, 07:30 PM
That means I got 24 credit of the possible 24 credits for that subject. Each subject has say 6 topics, each worth a different credit value. If you pass a topic you get that credit value in full. So the 24 means I basically past all aspects of the subject but doesn't give an indication of what level the pass was eg. achieved, merit, excellence. Thanks mate, I'm pretty stoked with my results. Especially since I have high footsteps to follow - my older brother got 4 scholarships for bursary and is doing aeronautical engineering, and my sister is doing a joint degree of law, history, politics and art!!! :S

DangerousDave
21-01-2004, 08:15 PM
hmmm i just got on, it went pretty fast too...

My theory is that if i do well i'll say i'm smart, if i do badly i'll blame NCEA - you can't lose!

100% for physics (all excellences), i'm pretty happy, although i'm sure they messed up my maths mark ;)

Time for 7th form or University... decisions decisions

- David

Craig
21-01-2004, 08:27 PM
nice bro, nice!

stiven
21-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Dave - wot a tank!! i thought i did ok getting all merits for physics, but 2 get all excellences?? wow....

had a guy in my class this year that will probably do that....

im like you, i think i did better than i got in maths.....

Laura
21-01-2004, 10:05 PM
This is an interesting thread for those of us brought up under old systems - without needing so far to understand the new.
Good to make an effort to do that now, considering there's been criticism of the system (as there always was of previous ones) and we have a bunch of young people here to ask.

Thanks Jester for the questions (And yes, my lot did have power - but no computers ....even with green screens )

So results meant the mailbox and percentages. And it was School Certificate and University Entrance.
And you either passed or you failed, depending on your totals. The requirement was 200 marks in 4 subjects..

Normally you sat 5 subjects & counted your top 4., giving you a spare.
Pride warranted not merely a pass, however, but skiting of total marks amongst your friends (So what else has changed?)
At the academic school I attended, girls were expected to pass. What counted was how well they passed....

So how do I compare that with the levels of today? And who decided 24 was a good number? Thanks Craig for explaining what it means to you students in terms of measurable results.
Anyone know what it means to the rest of us outside the NCEA?

Laura
21-01-2004, 10:11 PM
Really interesting that Somebody posted twice about the simple method of looking in the mailbox...

How many people kept trying to access a website unsuccessfully without doing tha?

Come on, fess up you young geeks.

DangerousDave
21-01-2004, 10:16 PM
> Really interesting that Somebody posted twice about
> the simple method of looking in the mailbox...
>
> How many people kept trying to access a website
> unsuccessfully without doing tha?
i mean, i'm already at the computer, getting up and moving 20m to the letterbox is just so much more hassle than hitting the refresh button ;)

<rant>
i hate ncea
</rant>
i think i always have a rant about ncea but i'll keep it short and sweat this time :)

It's good now that you can't fail internal assessments, the school just doesn't pass them to NZQA. You arn't entered into the standard, so you don't get the credits. You don't 'fail' or 'Not achieve' (PC is the aim of the game) you're failures are hidden/ignored.

JUST LIKE REAL LIFE!

- David

Laura
21-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Oh dear...not true

The unfortunate thing for most of us is that our failures aren't hidden in real life.

We just have to learn to live with them - and overcome them.

mejobloggs
21-01-2004, 10:26 PM
> Really interesting that Somebody posted twice about
> the simple method of looking in the mailbox...
>
> How many people kept trying to access a website
> unsuccessfully without doing tha?
>
> Come on, fess up you young geeks.

Well, for one, its not in my mailbox, I check my email everyday, so I should know. :-)

Two, I look on the internet because it comes 2 days earlier than the post, so I have been told.

Three, my Grandma is going (gone?) rather insane I think, ringing me up everyday, asking if I have my results yet.

hehee. Not quite that bad.

Laura
21-01-2004, 10:27 PM
But I assume you WERE joking?

Laura
21-01-2004, 10:30 PM
You mean I should have said your letterbox?

I mean the one the postie puts that stuff in.

agent
21-01-2004, 10:48 PM
A letterbox for those folks must mean their inbox :p

I'm estimating I got around 138 credits (checked once on the website, can't be bothered going back, and I haven't got Adobe Reader installed to view the PDF I downloaded), as I sat Maths and History last year, got 44 credits, and did the rest this year - all passed except extended novel study (which I'm not quite sure on), and I got 26 credits for my science combination.

And why I haven't checked the actual physical letterbox residing outside the front of our house? We had our mail held and it won't be delivered until tomorrow :D

stu140103
21-01-2004, 11:07 PM
> <rant>
> i hate ncea
> </rant>
> i think i always have a rant about ncea but i'll keep
> it short and sweat this time :)
>
> It's good now that you can't fail internal
> assessments, the school just doesn't pass them to
> NZQA. You arn't entered into the standard, so you
> don't get the credits. You don't 'fail' or 'Not
> achieve' (PC is the aim of the game) you're failures
> are hidden/ignored.
>
> JUST LIKE REAL LIFE!

Sorry as I student who flinched school in 2002 & who did exams under old system (when the New system was just coming in :D)

I just have to LOL :^O at NCEA & hehe at any one doing it.

The reason why I have to LOL or hehe at NCEA & any one doing it, is because when I completed school in 2002 most of the teaches & students / parents did not really understand it.

So it will be very interesting to see what happens in a few years time when the first lot of students who did the complete NCEA range from 5 Form - 7 Form when they go out and try and get a job.

Also it will be interesting to see what happens when the first lots of students who did the mix of old & new systems, when they go out and try and get a job.

]:) ;\

Billy T
21-01-2004, 11:19 PM
I've got bragging rights only here, but No 1 daughter checked out with 141 credits, 15 Excellences, 20 Merits and 6 Achieved. That's the total, no losses.

I am rapt for her as she has worked very hard.

She will get her reward!!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Billy T
21-01-2004, 11:24 PM
Forgot to mention, that is 5th form only, this year she will be in the 6th.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D :D
[pre][b]I'm still grinning, ear to ear!

agent
21-01-2004, 11:46 PM
Well, I just added mine up (for confirmation), and I got 140... just missed out, eh? :D

If only they carried all your extra credits over to the next level, huh? ;)

I personally don't see much wrong with NCEA, although it does try to make things politically correct (not as much so as in Britain, I think). Of course no parents, teachers, or students would have understood it a few years ago - only the Ministry of Education would've known how it worked (or not worked!). I understood it enough when we did two subjects in 2002 (I suppose most other students were just glad at the days they had off due to strikes and teacher training days), and it is more a matter of personal opinion whether you think it should be used or not.

mikebartnz
22-01-2004, 01:16 AM
> It's not the "New System", it's simply the server's being overloaded.
It is simply a badly set up system as they should have anticipated the load they got. It is simple maths made awfull by bad planning and the worse the planning the worse the end results.

mikebartnz
22-01-2004, 01:23 AM
>So how do I compare that with the levels of today?
You don't

mikebartnz
22-01-2004, 01:30 AM
The trouble with the new system is it does not help people adjust for the failures in life and with OSh and ACC it does not allow for taking risks.
Thanks Laura it is good to know I am not the only old fart following this thread.

mikebartnz
22-01-2004, 01:37 AM
Reading this post reminds me of starting what was called New Maths, About 1969 in the 4th form. Maths had been my best subject but I was totally lost with New Maths and thought I was comming at the bottom of the class but found I had retained the same position. Everyone else was just as lost.

mikebartnz
22-01-2004, 01:42 AM
>Three, my Grandma is going (gone?) rather insane I think, ringing me up
>everyday, asking if I have my results yet.
Forgive her it used to be a very major event.

Billy T
22-01-2004, 10:17 AM
IMHO the three worst things about NCEA are:

1) The ability for schools to conceal areas of weakness in either their currculum and teaching skills or their students by hiding failures. Not all do this, only those who have something to hide of course, and in the days of fee-paying students there can be commercial motivations at work.

2) The enormous additional workload on the teaching and support staff for preparation of lessons, moderation, reporting and all the other administrative "overhead" demands that the system has introduced.

3) The lack of adequate financial resourcing from the people of New Zealand (AKA the Government) which means that the funding for other aspects of education must be robbed to provide the necessary costs. Just NCEA photocopying alone adds 20-30 thousand dollars to the annual budget and the Govt offers barely 10% of that sum and says it is enough.

I am involved in school management via a Board of Trustees and the realities of NCEA inside and outside the classroom frighten me.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|
[pre][b] One day this too may be called
"An unfortunate experiment".

DangerousDave
22-01-2004, 10:21 AM
must...resist...rant

- David

Brad H
22-01-2004, 12:15 PM
Got my results in the mail this morning. The silly graphs that show where you stand with everyone else's marks are confusing. Especially your grade average which is not a percentage that can be compared to other people because it is based on your marks (number of credits times value ie a, m, e) and if you got withdrawn from a standard for failing it means that it would not be included so I got 57 in chem as a gpa but I know that a friend of mine will get higher because he was withdrawn from some standards. also a gpa (grade point average) is not out of 100 it is out of 96

Brad H
22-01-2004, 12:21 PM
The worst thing about being the first year is that they we write the standard half way through the year take physics 2.1 (90252) for example we did this at the beginnning of the year but had to do it again mid year because they changed the requirements to pass. previous it was accurate and percise but they changed it to just accurate. Not enough time to explain but it meant having to redo the enitire standard again

somebody
22-01-2004, 12:43 PM
The thing is that NZQA probably cannot justify upgrading their server/system so that they can cope with 900hits per second (or whatever the news said last night), for just 2 weeks a year. Usually their website is very quiet, as not many people visit it, so their current setup is sufficient.

The fact that the results arrive by mail the same day as they're released online is kind of pointless - why do the bother having the online system, where some people get their results by mail earlier than they manage to sign onto the website.

NCEA has it's pros and cons, but that's the same with every system.

mejobloggs
22-01-2004, 01:21 PM
> You mean I should have said your letterbox?
>
> I mean the one the postie puts that stuff in.

Yes, I know. I thought I would just give you a scare though. Poor us, dont even know what a real mailbox is, I mean, every one knows what it is, its kind of like an inbox for email, but its an actual physical thing somewhere way out in that odd, bright world, that has quaint little envelope things popped in everynow and again.

Eeeew, imagine all that fresh air to get to it, and it might even be sunny *shudder*

DangerousDave
22-01-2004, 02:32 PM
> also a gpa (grade point average) is not out of 100 it
> is out of 96

A GPA must be out of 100, thats how they work it out? You can get excellence in all of your papers and therefore 100%... not 96%??

- David

agent
22-01-2004, 03:54 PM
Your friend might get a higher GPA, but think about it.

Take an example. An employer has two prospective applicants, who both went through NCEA. One of these applicants was withdrawn for two standards in English, and the other was not. For the sake of simplicity, all other subjects are irrelevant.

Surely, if the employer had any sense, they would see that one of the applicants sat more standards than the other. Irrespective of the GPA, and assuming both applicants got the same result for all standards (excluding the two that one of the applicants was withdrawn from), then they would employ the person who was not withdrawn from two standards.

At least, if I were the employer, that's what I would do. Maybe that's not the way employment works.

mejobloggs
23-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Haha, yes! They fixed the mnistake, and I now have 140 credits!

I hate the Information management marking though.

For one section this was my marks.

N/A, A, A, M

And my overall mark was N/A WHAAAAT!

With a flippen Merit, and 2 Achieved, you would think I would pass!

Dumb

What is real dumb, is the people that got 20 or so credits in 4th form for some reason, so at the start of 5th form they were already 20 ahead, so if that was me, i would have 160 credits!

Anyway, thats my grumble

agent
23-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Yes, that's how the system works. Your overall mark is equivalent to the lowest you got. Even if you got six Excellences and one Not Achieved, your overall mark would be NA. It's rather stupid at times, but I suppose it does encourage a certain amount of harder work.

I don't get your complaint about people who sat some subjects in Year 10 though. Technically, you'll be able to get the same as them, because the next year (Year 11), they will most likely do a Year 12 subject.

Which would explain how I got 140 credits, because I got 44 in Year 10, and the rest last year. Although I did get 26 credits overall for science, and I didn't carry through one of the subjects I sat in Year 10.

mejobloggs
23-01-2004, 02:45 PM
hmmm, not how it went at our school. Only year 10 in top stream social studies got a chance for extra credits for year 11, and then they didnt do any year 12 subjects.

agent
23-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Oh, I see. That's kind of weird, not allowing them to then continue doing a subject at the next level ?:|

mejobloggs
23-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Most of the people didnt even do social studies the next year, but the had the credits. I dont think we can even do anything but that years worl

Brad H
27-01-2004, 09:25 AM
Our school lets the top forth form class do science early and the next year instead of doing form six science they do chemistry, physics or biology

fergie
27-01-2004, 10:50 AM
cool.
Got my results - got me 143 credits :D

Plus 24 L2 credits (for maths - passed them all)

Only failed one thing - speechs, so i'm happy :D

Now i got a big problem with my subjects - have to change half them cos of clashes....

fergie
27-01-2004, 05:14 PM
man... i'm really peeeed off.
i go to skool (high skool - 6th form) and here all my subjects are clashing, so i have to get new ones... anyway, i have to choose between y12 Computing and y12 Physics... which really sux - as i wanted to do both.

Any y13's here who have done either of these courses, and could give me some advice (wots hard/easy etc)

agent
27-01-2004, 07:24 PM
I'm doing Yr12 Physics this year, and seeing as I'm not in Yr13, I can't give any reckonable advice; but I'd ask yourself if you really need to do computing.

I did IT in Yr9 and Yr10, but not any further. My reasoning for doing so is because (in my opinion, anyway) I have more than enough skills in the area of computing, and doing Information Management didn't appeal to me (like I need to learn info management skills).

Sure, Computing sounds like a different subject (is it?), but surely you have plenty of skill in the area of computing already?

Another thing to take into consideration is where you want to head in terms of a career/futher studies. You probably have enough skills to get a job in the area of computing. No, it won't be one where you have certification or anything, but you'd know what you're doing.

fergie
27-01-2004, 08:40 PM
yeah, i think i will.

I haven't done any computing subjects yet 9as they were all a waste of time) and it wasn't until y12 when i planned to do it.

but i was talking to IT guy - he said do physics - and then i could pik it up in y13 - he usually wouldn't allow tht, but, he knows me :)

I'm looking down the finance/business line - so i'm doing accnting and economics (which also clashed - but i got a way round tht) and i have to do ENG - to get into uni, and i'm doing Y13 Maths: calculus (i've been doing a year ahead maths the pst 2 years) and tht left me with pysics and computing.

I was only doing physics cos it semmed interesting, and i am pretty good at the maths side of things - i don't intend to stay in science.
But i have had to choose bilogoy (it was tht or history :() and then i had to choose either com or phy.

but i think i'll go with phy then, at least then it gives me another way to go if i stuff up in finance.

Laura
27-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Hi fergie

Congratulations on your 143 credits. You've done well.

I'm mystified about the subject "speechs" you said you failed. I can't relate that one to my schooldays.

Subject titles (& subject matter) have obviously changed greatly, but as there are 3 different guesses circulating among the olds here tonight on wotthehell this subject measures, please enlighten us.

fergie
27-01-2004, 10:03 PM
lol, thats probably why i failed it.

You had to give an oral presentation infront of a class about a certain topic, had to go for like 3mins, using eye contact, voie techniques and so on.

I really suck at spelling, but i'm sure thats spelt write (like i said, i'm no wlaking dictonary)

unless its spelt:
Speaches?
Speachs?
Speech?

the word i was trying to type, rhymes with peaches (the fruit) with "SP" infront.

lol - i just confusing my self now,

Stryker
27-01-2004, 10:03 PM
I donít bother with looking up my results... they have a way of finding me!
I'll either walk past a course notice board remembering at that point to check for results, or sometimes my father just throws a closed envelope at me.

Results...they find you in the end!

fergie
27-01-2004, 10:09 PM
i wasn't really worried about mine either.
I knew i would pass (not bragging or anything)
But i went into the exasm with like 65 credits (u need 80 to pass) beccuase i had done L1 maths the year b4 (and got them all) and passed all my internats (cept one)

But i was stooked when i got them, my grade pt averages (put there so ppl can look at a "% mark" but if they put tht, y did they change from skool C?) were:
Accounting: 96
Science 91
economics 91
Level 2 maths 86
and all the rest were >70

so i was happy :D

Growly
27-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Well, as a year 10 student I'm about to witness all this for the first time, but, i submerged myself into computers to get away from all this pressure about grades and what not....

Nontheless, congrats.

I do find, however, that the nerves you would have about finding out your results (esp. when you get anxiety attacks, like me), are increases tenfold when the page wont load.

I get nervous thinking about it :'(

mejobloggs
27-01-2004, 10:35 PM
This is just what I heard from my backwards school, that IF you already know a lot about computers, then it is pointless to do anything at school about it, because you would know it all.

Laura
27-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Oh you mean speeches?

Thanks for the explanation about what it was for .

Yes, your spelling does suck. It's atrocious.
(Is that why there are spell-checkers on these PCs?)

It gives us olds an excuse to groan & grumble about "education today," because we had to spell stuff properly or we'd never pass in English.

Our olds of course moaned & grumbled about other stuff to show education was going to the dogs....& we'd grow up an ignorant bunch. I think it was mainly our lack of knowledge on history they complained about.

I wonder what you'll be complaining about in terms of your kids " lack of proper education" in 2025?

(And no I won't go back & fix the other spelling mistakes. Otherwise I'd have to do it with the rest of the posts on this thread. And I don't have enough spare time for that........We oldies will just have to cringe & live with it)

Brad H
28-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Do physics did it last year very fun subject if you get a good teacher also computing is appartently dead easy. As for spelling I think that you have good spelling compared to some of my friends. And text messaging is not help with us not using vowels.

agent
28-01-2004, 05:22 PM
The 'Grade Point Average' (GPA) is in no way an accurate percentage measurement.

You get given 100 for an Excellence, 75 for a Merit, 50 for an Achieved, and 0 for a Not Achieved. They add all those up for your subject and divide it by the number of standards you sat. It isn't even a real percentage.

fergie
28-01-2004, 06:38 PM
>The 'Grade Point Average' (GPA) is in no way an accurate percentage measurement.

You get given 100 for an Excellence, 75 for a Merit, 50 for an Achieved, and 0 for a Not Achieved. They add all those up for your subject and divide it by the number of standards you sat. It isn't even a real percentage.

O.... ok.

oweel, 96 still looks good :p

Why is it on there? i mean, if its for employers to comapre peoples results and pick the best one, then Skool C should have stayed.
And also - wots better then?
3 Ex's 3 NA's
or
6 A's

each will give a GPA of 50...

agent
28-01-2004, 08:19 PM
I give no guarantee that's what the GPA actually is though ;)

I read that somewhere (last year), it might've been on a cover letter with my results or something; or else a teacher explaining it. But they might have changed it, but I reckon it'd still be the same.

But like I said earlier in this thread, if I were an employer, I would look at the individual standards sat, not the GPA or anything else.

fergie
28-01-2004, 08:54 PM
it is worked out like you said - i just done my own calculations with my results.

Brad H
29-01-2004, 06:14 PM
The insane thing about level 3 this year is in calculus i am attempting 66 credits 24 being achievemet standards and the rest being unit standards i can add 20 credits from last year and therefore have 80 credits which means i don't have to do anymore subjects

DangerousDave
29-01-2004, 07:08 PM
don't question NCEA, as i learnt harshly, speaking out against the system will land you in a lot of trouble...

just nod your head and say that its a great system and everyone benefits

- David

MrBeef
29-01-2004, 09:18 PM
hahaah yeh...