PDA

View Full Version : startup problems

Chikara
20-01-2004, 10:02 PM
For about the last year, I have been having intermittent problems on startup.

Probably 75% of the time the system boots normally. When it doesn't, the symptoms are one of the following:

- System does not boot, I have a blank screen and just hear a repeating beeping. I have to press reset.

- The BIOS energysaver logo on startup sometime is distorted - either characters dropped out, or the whole image is coloured gibberish. The memory check seems to complete as per normal. It will then eith occasionally boot as normal, or will boot at lower speed (ie CPU shows as 1050 instead of 1400, or speed shows as 200 instead of 266), or sometimes not boot at all, necessitating pressing reset.

- Again occasionally I will get "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter: even with no discs in any drives. Pressing enter will boot sucessfully though.

- More recently, I occasionally get a message "hardware monitor found an error - Enter power setup menu for details". When pressing setup I have no clue what to look for/correct, but continuing anyway seems to work. Sometimes I get this message, other times not - there's no pattern to it.

Is this something to do with the Bios? Or Power supply? Or even a pending hard drive failure? I'm at a loss to know where to start to diagnose these errors, it's quite frustrating. Hopefully someone can help!

Regards

Tony

Odin
20-01-2004, 11:47 PM
At A guess I'd say it could be your powersupply not supply enough power for all your devices. What size PSU are you using 250, 300 or 350 watt?

Jen C
21-01-2004, 06:44 PM
You seem to have a multitude of problems. When you next hear the beeping during bootup, pay particular attention to any patterns with the beeps eg. 4 short beeps, 2 long and 2 short, etc. These beeps are a error message and by looking up the beep pattern for your BIOS type they should give a clue to what is happening.

Having a distorted display during bootup could suggest problems with your graphic card.

When you computer does successfully bootup, do you notice any problems during general use? What OS are you using? Have a look under Hardware monitor (Control Panel > System) - location/terminology varies according to OS - and make sure there are no yellow exclamation marks beside any device.

Have you tried resetting your BIOS back to defaults?

Pheonix
21-01-2004, 08:41 PM
If the power supply is OK, next to check would be RAM. Either swap with another known stick or if you have 2 sticks, remove one then swap over with other stick.
Or download Memtest86 (http://www.webattack.com/get/memtest86.html) , copy to bootable disk and run it after booting up with the disk. This is quite good for testing out the memory.

Chikara
21-01-2004, 08:44 PM
I'm not sure what size PSU I have - how do I find out?

Chikara
21-01-2004, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Jen C...

(A multitute of problems is not what I wanted to hear though!!!)

Here's the answers to your other questions if this helps...

The beep pattern, when it occurs, is *always* one longish beep that repeats. I'm not sure how to find out what that means.

The distorted display is mostly just the "energystar EPA pollution preventer" logo that is usually in the top right-hand corner. The rest of the screen is fine.
If it is the video card at fault as you suggest, how can I test/confirm this?

When I do sucessfully boot, I occasionally get the BSOD, however I suspect this is due to a IRQ conflict rather than a connected fault. I've send a seperate post about the BSOD.

I'm running windows XP Pro.

Under device manager, I do have a yellow exclamation mark next to the PCI Parallel port..I have tried to fix this before by getting windows to automatically installa driver - this fails as windows says it can't find the driver.

I haven't every changed my BIOS settings, but I've just selected the load default option on this boot - will see if that helps.

Thanks again in advance for your help...

Tony

Jen C
21-01-2004, 09:23 PM
>The beep pattern, when it occurs, is *always* one longish beep that repeats. I'm not sure how to find out what that means.

That depends upon what BIOS brand you have - have a look here (http://atozincomputer.com/Productinfo_files/beepcode.html)

Award and Phoenix BIOS: - Long continuous beeps: DRAM not installed correctly