PDA

View Full Version : cellphone battery issue

yingxuan
20-01-2004, 04:29 AM
I have a cellphone and i've manage to charge the phone battery a couple of times.Now both of the batteries won't charge.The 1st battery simply charges for a minute then stops and the nokia phone says not charging.The 2nd phone however shows the battery indicator is rising which means its charging but after 6 hours of charging the battery is only 1/4 ly charge.After two hours of charging the battery and unplugging the power adaptor the phone says the battery is low.IS it the battery or my phone thats having trouble?

robo
20-01-2004, 06:06 AM
I've seen the first problem about not charging when the charger isn't the right one for the phone. Is it the right charger?
robo.

Octavian.
20-01-2004, 07:11 AM
A friend of mine reconditions his cellphone batteries by leaving them in the deep freeze overnight. I haven't tried it myself but he reckons it works!

yingxuan
20-01-2004, 10:55 AM
The charger is the charger in the phone.
One of the battery manages to charge over night.The 1st battery charges for 1 minute then stops.
Deep freeze?hmm.Very interesting.lol.

godfather
20-01-2004, 11:04 AM
> The charger is the charger in the phone.

Really?

So nothing plugs into the wall, like a power pack charger?
Thats very unusual.

What sort of phone and just how does it get power to charge, if not from the wall charger?

On some phones, LiOn and NiMh batteries were interchangeable, but the NiMh charger wall pack would not quite supply the correct voltage for the LiOn battery, which would give a short charge and then say "not charging"

yingxuan
20-01-2004, 11:35 AM
its a nokia 8250

Graham L
20-01-2004, 12:29 PM
It's possible for a battery to be fooled about its capacity, especially if it has been shallow discharged and recharged repeatedly. There's a very good on line battery book (http://www.batteryuniversity.com) which will tell you a lot about it.

However, with the obsolescence rate of cellphones, surely it's still under guarantee. Or is it a second hand one?

GF, I hate to think of someone using a LiIon battery in a thing built for NiMH. It's a good thing they didn't try very hard to charge: LiIon batteries can "vent with flame" (explode to us;-)) when maltreated.

heaton
20-01-2004, 02:55 PM
You could perhaps find out from the maker what type of battery it is. Nicad batteries require to be run down to about 1 volt per cell before recharging otherwise they develope a memory effect. That is if you use the phone say for one call per day and then put it on charge each night it will remember the one call per day usage and that is all it will give you. Nimh cells do not have this memory effect and can be topped up any time.

godfather
20-01-2004, 03:05 PM
The Nokia 5XXX and 6 xxx use an identical battery. 3.6v NiMh or 3.6v LiIon.

The early 5110 had NiMh but the LiIon replacements as used in the 6xxx work just fine.
The wall pack charger supplied for NiMh doesnt always like the LiIon though.

The phone only stops/starts the charger (delta/v mode I suspect), the charger itself is current limited at 700 mA 6.8v or 6.3v 700 mA for another, or 5.3v 500 mA for yet another. All switchmode regulated.

Its noticeable on the different chargers, the LiIOn will sometimes fail to continue charging using the 5.3v charger (the original NiMh charger).

Other times its fine. That extra volt must be important.
The batteries have lasted 4 years on constant charge and continue to work well.

Its much more unreliable using the cheap in-car chargers though.

John H
20-01-2004, 03:21 PM
I stand to be corrected, but I don't think Lithium Ion batteries have this memory effect either.

The deep freezing method was a bush carpenter's way of getting rid of the memory in a cell. If you have either a LIon or nimh battery in the phone, I don't think the deep freeze method will have any effect.

Well, that is what I was told anyway by someone who sounded as though he knew what he was talking about... And my Fujitsu laptop has a Lithium Ion battery and the handbook says there is no memory effect.

yingxuan
21-01-2004, 04:52 AM
its a lion battery
What am i suppose to do?

yingxuan
21-01-2004, 04:52 AM
its a lion battery
What am i suppose to do?How do fix the problem

godfather
21-01-2004, 08:01 AM
Try a new battery

John H
21-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Perhaps you could try taking it to the supplier and complaining?

yingxuan
23-01-2004, 02:31 AM
Does it actully take like 6 hours or more to charge a phone's battery?Seems a bit long.Are there any faster way of charging it?

yingxuan
31-01-2004, 02:43 PM
has anyone tried the deep freezing method?My two cellphone batteries isn't working.maybe i should try it.i mean its not going to explode.lol!Doesn't hurt to try.!
has anybody try deep freezing batteries and they actually work after freezing it?How long did they freeze it for?

Billy T
31-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Freeze overnight, allow to thaw completely for 24 hours to prevent sweating. Probably won't help but it is worth a try.

Lithium-ion batteries do suffer from loss of capacity effects similar to Nicad memory, and they also self-discharge quite rapidly so they need a regular top up.

If your batteries have been cycled frequently over several months they could be stuffed. Buy or borrow a new battery to check that your charger is OK, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

yingxuan
01-02-2004, 03:23 AM
I have two chargers for my phone.The 1st charger is inside the phone and the 2nd charger is a seperate charger from the phone.I've only had to battery for 1 month.Its a new battery !!

godfather
01-02-2004, 11:21 AM
Refer to my other post.

You still say the charger is "in the phone"

Surely the phone has a wall plug pack.

That wall plug pack is the charger, the phone simply controls the power from it.
The phone itself is not the "charger".

If the battery is new and the plug pack OK, then take the battery back. It should last 3 - 5 years not 3 months.

Fire-and-Ice
01-02-2004, 11:32 AM
> If the battery is new and the plug pack OK, then take the battery back. It should last 3 - 5 years not 3 months.

That depends on whether the battery has been charged correctly according to the instruction manual. ;-)

If the first charge made to the battery is not done correctly, ie for the specified period of time prior to using then its subsequent charge life may be reduced quite significantly. I have experienced this.

Graham L
01-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Freezing the battery will work very well. If you want to use the battery to cool drinks. :D

It won't make the battery work better as a battery. A lithium-ion battery might cease to work at all until it warms up to a reasonable temperature.

A read of the online book I gave the link for will help to dispel some of the old wive's (or old bush carpenter's) tales.