PDA

View Full Version : Internet call-waiting

michael8
17-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Hello,

How do you get call-waiting with a dial-up connection without any extra fees?

Regards
Michael

beama
18-01-2004, 12:10 AM
call waiting is a service supplied by telecom ( not sure about other telecommunication suppliers) it will disconnect you from the internet ( at least mine does) if a call comes in while you are on line. You are able to disable call waiting while on the net by adding *52 to the front of your isp number in your connection properties ( *52 87 11111, (not a real number)) *52 works for telecom call waiting, again not sure about other suppliers.

without call waiting or if you have disabled call waiting in your isp properties, if a call comes in while you are on the net, the caller normally gets a engaged signal.
as for fee for this service, I know that telecom charges for this although in my opinion not much

yingxuan
18-01-2004, 02:07 AM
I saw in the newspaper where there's a little adaptor that plugs into the wallplug .It cost about 100 dollars to get.Its detects incoming calls.Not sure if u can find one in nz.Have a ask at dicksmiths see if they have one.It said in the newspaper that it alerts u of incoming calls to your computer and the newspaper also say i think there's a call waiting modem and u don't need to pay telecolm

Laura
18-01-2004, 03:22 AM
As I remember , Call Waiting cost $4.95 per month when I was last offered it by Xtra.,,,& not taken up.

That is on top of Telecom's normal connection fee, which one way or another we all pay..

If someone else has another version, I stand corrected.

So if yingsuan wants to pay 100 dollars to get this service in another way, it seems that's paying for 20 months in advance for something that's already available for peanuts in terms of internet services.

So please explain this post a little better . Perhaps I didn't understand it.

sam m
18-01-2004, 07:51 AM
Internet call waiting is available from specific ISP's. Here is a run down from ihug (http://www.ihug.co.nz/xchange/) but others use it as well.
It is a two part service, Telecom's call diversion ($3.95) and ISP charge $4.95. It is the cheapest option available to receive a call while you are on the net.

How do you get it for free? ................you cant

michael8
18-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Thanks for all your help. Beama, I tried your solution by adding the *52 to the front of my ISP number but I can't connect to my ISP. Is there a few things I am missing?

Michael

Peter H
18-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Revert back to the number that you were using. Go via Control Panel - Modem - properties - Dialing - and there is a box to insert *52.
bye

Peter H
18-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Meant to add, that this will not disable it on some Modems. Mine is a hardware ISA slot one, and will not disconnect. Has advantages,as DL's are not disrupted.
Bye

godfather
18-01-2004, 06:46 PM
*52 will only work if you have Call Waiting enabled.

That means contacting Telecom, arranging for it and paying for it.

Otherwise, you cant use *52

yingxuan
20-01-2004, 02:16 AM
What i meant was .Theres an adaptor out there that cost 100 bucks.U plug your modem to this adaptor .The adaptor plugs itself into the phone jack in the wall.Then if someone calls u.. The modem is suppose to let u know if someone is calling u by displaying a message in the computer monitor and so by using this u don't need to pay telecolm.Oh i fink it comes with a software..Apparently i remembered the newspaper said that the adaptor lets u answer or reject the call so u can keep surfing the net.
There are also 56k modem call waiting that doesn't require u to pay anything to telecolm.
I can't find it at the moment at google.will post a site when i find one

yingxuan
20-01-2004, 02:17 AM
The phone line from the modem to the adaptor.Then plug the adaptor to the phone jack in the wall

yingxuan
20-01-2004, 02:21 AM
Read this http://www.otherlandtoys.co.uk/product406/product_info.html?name=Internet%20Alert

This was what i was talking about.An adaptor that detects incoming calls while your surfing the net

godfather
20-01-2004, 07:01 AM
DSE sell similar devices.

These will only work if you have Call Waiting enabled on your line.

Unless you do have Call Waiting service enabled by Telecom, then there is never going to be any indication that a call is being made, so it simply will not detect it.