PDA

View Full Version : Which Mandrake 9.2 Linux CDs are REALLY needed?

somebody
17-01-2004, 08:30 AM
I'm thinking of having another go at Linux, so I've started downloading the ISO images of Mandrake 9.2.

My question is:
All up there are 3 CD images. The first one is the Install Disk. The second is the Extras disk. The third is the Internationalisation disk.

I was thinking that I would just download the first CD, as it would be all I need. If I need additional software, I can just download the respective RPMs for them. Am I able to do this? Will it let me not have CD2?

If I plan to install the system as "New Zealand", with language en-NZ, would I need that internationalisation disk?

ilikelinux
17-01-2004, 08:36 AM
you will be fine with just the first disk.

But it might ask you for the rest of the disks, but it will ask you "ok, cancel (i dont have this disk)"

somebody
17-01-2004, 08:43 AM
thanks ilikelinux

44% downloaded... my next mission is to convince the other users of this computer that by me installing Linux as a dual-boot won't affect their files etc. on WinXP:D

ilikelinux
17-01-2004, 09:27 AM
good luck

Chilling_Silently
17-01-2004, 10:29 AM
I would _really_ suggest you grab the second insatll Disc too... Ive ALWAYS used it, but never the 3rd.

If you're a bit put off by Mandrake (as I was), give Fedora a shot (That's not to say MDK's no good, many happy users run it daily :D).

A word of advice though:
Backup Backup Backup

You are doing major changes to your system here, and Ive not had good experiences with MDK's partitioning (that was in 9.1 and apparently its all fixed in 9.2).

BTW - Im not sure what MDK uses for its boot loader, but it may pay to set XP as the default so all you have to do is show the other family members how to logout and reboot Linux to get into Windows, should they so desire.

Its not overly difficult, my family was TOTALLY against the idea of change as of three weeks ago, but I installed Gentoo Linux while they were gone, and they love the speed of it! Give them things that'll look similar to what they used in Doze, like MozillaFirebird/Thunderbird and that'll go a long way to making them feel more at home (Let them loose with theming for their own user account too!)

Hope this helps, and if you run into trouble, you know where to turn ;-)

Cheers

Chill.

John H
17-01-2004, 11:09 AM
>I'm thinking of having another go at Linux, so I've started downloading the ISO images of Mandrake 9.2.

Let me know if you are in ChCh and you can have my CDs. I moved on to Red Hat Fedora so have no need of them.

John

Dolby Digital
17-01-2004, 01:52 PM
>>If you're a bit put off by Mandrake (as I was)
Hey Chill, lets start a "best Linux distro" flame war :p

You can use LILO or GRUB with Mandrake as your boot loader.

Anyway, installing Mandrake... you REALLY need cd1 (obviously). From then on it purely depends on what packages you install but odds on you'll need CD2. I have used CD3 myself for development type stuff.

Chilling_Silently
17-01-2004, 01:56 PM
> >>If you're a bit put off by Mandrake (as I was)
> Hey Chill, lets start a "best Linux distro" flame war
> :p
Resistance is futile, you know I'll win ;-) :p
YMMV, Different stroke for different... ....

> You can use LILO or GRUB with Mandrake as your boot
> loader.
Oh? Im pretty sure that Redhat dropped LILO support in 8.0.
Personally, grub looks nice and is easiest for n00b's to maintain! Editing the .conf file couldnt be easier!!

> Anyway, installing Mandrake... you REALLY need cd1
> (obviously). From then on it purely depends on what
> packages you install but odds on you'll need CD2. I
> have used CD3 myself for development type stuff.

Does CD3 contain the devel tools?

You _could_ do a minimal install if you had to, but what fun would that be?! Get CD2 at least... :-)

Might pay to give John or me a yell for CD's if downloading is an issue :-)

Chill.

John H
17-01-2004, 02:24 PM
> (...) it may pay to set XP as the default so all you have to do is show the other family members how to logout and reboot Linux to get into Windows, should they so desire.

I couldn't agree more. I didn't do that, and caused all sorts of consternation with SWMBO and lots of extra messing around. I eventually took Mandrake off the family computer and installed it on my laptop as I am the only one who uses it. Still, it would have been simpler to set it as Chill says!

>Im pretty sure that Redhat dropped LILO support in 8.0.
I am pretty sure I was given the choice of GRUB or LILO when I installed Fedora. I went with GRUB and it works fine.

John

somebody
17-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Thanks everyone. I actually quite liked Mandrake, from what I saw of MandrakeMove. The only problem was because of the way MandrakeMove was put together, I didn't get a chance to properly explore Linux.

I think i'll download CD 2 as well - thanks for the offer for CDs (I live in Hawkes Bay), but i'm a little bit reserved about giving my physical address out to people I have only met on the internet .

Chilling_Silently
17-01-2004, 11:20 PM
> i'm a
> little bit reserved about giving my physical address
> out to people I have only met on the internet .

Im am the police.... Somebodies watching you..... ;-)

:D

somebody
18-01-2004, 08:10 AM
oh no... -gets all paranoid- shuts curtains, disconnects phone lines... :D:D

Just another quick question:

This is what I plan to do. The PC I want to install it on is an Athon 1.4 Thunderbird, 256mb DDR 266, 80gb hdd. The hdd is partitioned into 4 equal sized NTFS partitions at the moment. As there is barely anything on the last partition, I thought I'd use PartitionMagic (7.0 - came with a mobo), and chip of 5GB from the last partition. I would then plan to install Linux on that. Would that work, or does linux have to be on a particular part of a HDD?

ilikelinux
18-01-2004, 02:37 PM
>I am pretty sure I was given the choice of GRUB or LILO when I installed Fedora. I went with GRUB and it works fine.

Fedora has definetely dropped lilo, i had installed fedora on my machine this moringing (again) and there was two options for the boot loader, Grub or nofink!

Dolby Digital
18-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Linux is pretty flexible re placement on the harddisk. If disk space is tight, 1.5 GB will see a pretty full install.

somebody
18-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks DolbyDigital. HDD space isn't too much of an issue - only using about 1.5gb of the 20gb partition.

Chilling_Silently
18-01-2004, 04:03 PM
You should just be able to clear of anything you dont want and then tell Mandrake to Format it as Ext3, re-partitioning shouldnt be neccesary :-)