PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive

bacon_002
17-01-2004, 01:08 AM
I want to purchase a new hard drive and keep the existing drive. My computer is relatively new, P4 2.8G, 40G HDD (Currently) and 1GB Ram, running Win XP Home. I understand that before I buy one, I should make sure that my current drive speed and the new drive speed should match, how do I find out what my existing system speed is?

hamstar
17-01-2004, 01:45 AM
look on your specifications sheet that your computer came with if there is one, or possibly your reciept.

I dont think it matters too much. If its a compaq computer or a dell they probably would have budget hard drives like 5200rpm unless they included a "Fast 7200rpm hard drive" (which is no different to my "7200rpm hard drive).

I assume you are talking about drive rpm.

Blue_face
17-01-2004, 03:51 AM
The new hard drive does not have to be at the same speed as the current one. it was only recommended that you use the fastest drive as a primary drive. either way it doesnt really matter anyway, its very unlikely that you will notice the speed difference.

bk T
17-01-2004, 10:48 AM
> ... I should
> make sure that my current drive speed and the new
> drive speed should match, how do I find out what my
> existing system speed is?

The drive speed should not have any effect on setting up your new HDD. It's OK to have different speed drives working together as long as you have got your jumper settings (and other cable connections) right for both the HDD.

Cheers

bacon_002
19-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Thank You All Very Much :)