PDA

View Full Version : Virtual PGP-disk "running out of space"

argus
16-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Just a minor irritation, but I wonder if there's a way of stopping it.

I use PGPdisk to protect some confidential files. I filled a "virtual disk"
and dumped the encrypted *.pgd file onto a CD. So now, when I want to
access one of these files, I simply slide in the CD open the .pgd file from the CD directory, enter the pass-phrase and it re-creates my virtual disk.

The trouble is, that "disk" is almost full, and Windows XP keeps noticing
that, saying "You are running out of space on disk E:" and attempting to
get me to run Disk CleanUp on it!

I press what my partner calls "the f... off button" (every dialogue box should have one, she says) in this case, the x at top right of the message 'balloon'. The message goes away, but a disk icon stays on the taskbar and the balloon pops up again at random intervals. If I forget about it and attempt to unmount the virtual disk after I've finished with it, it whines "this PGP Disk is still in use", because it's still waiting for me to Clean it up or cancel the CleanUp. So every time, I have to fire up the CleanUp window and press Cancel before I can unmount my virtual disk.

As I say, minor but irritating. Is there any way of stopping XP checking
the virtual disk and telling me it's "running out of space"?

Argus

Babe Ruth
16-01-2004, 09:16 PM
argus,

When you’re running low on disk space, Windows displays a warning message in the notification area at the right of the taskbar.
Clicking on the balloon opens the Disk Cleanup utility and allows you to clean out unwanted files.

If you’d prefer not to see these messages, you can disable them globally by adding a value in the registry (unfortunately, this option cannot be used only on specific drives).

Open Registry Editor and select the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer\

Choose Edit, New, DWORD Value, and name the new value NoLowDiskSpaceChecks

Set the data value to 1.

Close Registry Editor to apply the change.

Windows will no longer display these warnings.

Cheers, Babe.