PDA

View Full Version : audio

Christine
16-01-2004, 08:02 AM
Can anyone please tell me ....what is a uncompressed audio format...and how do I get one..thanks folks

kerryg
16-01-2004, 08:13 AM
A WAV file is an uncompressed format audio file. Windows sound recorder is the most basic programe I know of that can record audio into this format but there art others too

kiwibeat
16-01-2004, 08:20 AM
wave files are large and take up lots of HDD space good for creating audio cds that older stereo systems can play back . I use audio catalyst to rip to HDD but there are heaps of programs out there that will do the same job

somebody
16-01-2004, 08:43 AM
Hi Christine, and Welcome to PressF1.

As has been mentioned above a .WAV file is an uncompressed audio file format. As for "getting one", I'm not 100% sure what you mean. You can use various audio programs to save music or sound to a .wav file (eg. as mentioned Windows Sound Recorder, Audacity, Cool Edit PRo etc.).

An uncompressed audio format is one where the audio is raw, or completely unprocessed. MP3 and WMA files for example, are compressed formats, because there are parts of the files which are inaudible to the human ear which have been taken out to save space, and also the overall quality reduced so it does not need to store so much information. For example, an uncompressed file .wav of about 4 mins would take up about 30mb of space, whereas the same file compressed into MP3 format would take up about 5mb.