PDA

View Full Version : partition magic 8 - problems copying a partition

fergie
15-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Hi.
I am trying to copy a 30gb partition from my 60gb HDD to my new 80gb HDD using Partition magic 8.

everything works (resizing, converting etc) but whne i use the copy feature - it asks me to restart - which i do - but whne windows boots up nothing has changed.
Anyone no wot i'm doing wrong?
or can i use another program to do it? even through windows? (XP PRO)

thanks

Chilling_Silently
15-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Ive used Bootable Linux before...

Damn Small Linux (DSL) is a 50 meg download, and it should do it for you if you're keen to try...

Ive not explored Partition Magic's Copy Functions (Didnt even know you could). Ive always used Ghost or dd (in linux) to do direct partition/hdd copies!

Chill.

Graham L
15-01-2004, 03:20 PM
If the new partition has been formatted, You oughjt to be able to select everything and drag them to the new place. :D Or xcopy /s. :D

fergie
15-01-2004, 03:50 PM
i thought of doing tht - but it is the partition where i have all my games installed, so it might miss some files?

but i think i've got a 30 day trial of norton ghost somewhere on a cd - i'll have a hunt around for tht first.

Thanks

Graham L
15-01-2004, 03:55 PM
Won't you get problems with "installed" software, anyway. Registry entries might not be right. ;-)

fergie
15-01-2004, 06:00 PM
all sweet now.
i found norton ghost - installed the trial - used the copy feature - worked, then unistalled it.
thanks