PDA

View Full Version : file transfer from windows 95 pc to XP pc

_david_
15-01-2004, 12:17 AM
hi, i have a lot of files that i would like to transfer to my new pc. Was looking at the option of a usb data key to transfer the files. I have looked on the dse.co.nz site and there may be a problem in finding a key that works with both 95 and xp. Any advice about these keys or file transfering easily.

dave.

[linux] mb0o53
15-01-2004, 12:24 AM
Have you thought about removing the HDD from the Windows 95 PC, putting it in the XP PC, and transfering the files that way?
// mb0o53

Chilling_Silently
15-01-2004, 12:24 AM
You're gonna have one hell of a time getting Win95 to use USB... Dont bother, its honestly just not worth the hassle (Took me about 5 hours to get it working for my mate so he could use a 4x2x8 external writer).

We did it, but DONT bother, im telling ya ;-)

Try partitioning your HDD, much better option!

Chilling_Silently
15-01-2004, 12:26 AM
Sorry, I misread that.. New PC (Not upgrade)....

Networking would be an idea then if you dont do as mentioned and move the HDD temporarily into the new PC...

_david_
15-01-2004, 12:33 AM
oh ok,i have not clue bout sorta thing but i know ppl who will help me with it. is it as simple as opening the 95 box taking the HDD and putting it into place in the XP box?

seems like a good idea to me!

hamstar
15-01-2004, 12:41 AM
yep easy as cake!

if you know how to anyway.

_david_
15-01-2004, 12:44 AM
really, seems strange to me as one hard drive has win95 on it and the other doesnt,

but if the wise ppl here say its a good idea i will look to my local support to help me out.

dave.

zqwerty
15-01-2004, 01:15 AM
I have found that for essential files that you may want to transfer immediately, apparently there is an option in Winzip that allows one to split files into small enough sizes to e-Mail between two Hotmail addresses that you set up especially to transfer between the computers in question. Break files into 1meg packets and use one address to send attachments to the other one then get these messages using as the receive computer the one you want to put the files into. Once the split files arrive Winzip can re-assemble them again.
Regards Robert.

[linux] mb0o53
15-01-2004, 01:30 AM
HDDs are each formatted as differant filesystems (FAT32, NTFS, Ext3, etc.) The OS doesn't change what the filesystem is, although it is necessary to have a FAT32 or NTFS partition to install windows onto. If you are adventurous enough to open up your win95 box and pull out the HDD, be sure to remove the jumper so that it will be a slave drive (unless the jumper is set to cable select). All that is necessary to connect the HDD to the computer is an IDE cable and a Power Cable, and if the drive is only going to be there temporarily, there is no need to screw it in place.
I found this site which may help: http://compreviews.about.com/library/weekly/aa-diy-secondaryhd.htm

// mb0o53

_david_
15-01-2004, 12:36 PM
thanks for the info, im gonna look into this for sure.

dave.

_david_
15-01-2004, 12:49 PM
looking on trademe, will this do the job maybe??

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/listings/0002-0359-0164-1420-/auction-8198628.htm

dave.

[linux] mb0o53
15-01-2004, 12:59 PM
As Chilling_Silence said, it is a real pain to get usb devices working in win95, if you did manage to get it working with win95 you'd have to ask yourself - is it worth the money? If you will use it again it might be, but it's quite a lot of money and if all you want it for is transferring the files, I would highly recommend the free and educational way - putting the win95 HDD in the winXP PC and transferring them that way.

// mb0o53

Graham L
15-01-2004, 04:04 PM
The problem with W95 is that it came out before USB was thought of. I think you can use USB with W95-C if you can find the appropriate driver. It's not just hardware. Either use a network connection, or plug the drive in to the other box.

(It's not "strange" ... the W95 disk has an OS on it, but it is installed as a "slave" drive. The system boots with its own OS, which sees the W95 disk as just a disk containing files. Which it can copy. :D )

_david_
15-01-2004, 06:19 PM
the windows 95 comp does have two usb 'slots', but yeh the idea of putting the drive into the other seems to be the way to go, ill get on to some time soon!

dave.

zminos
15-01-2004, 07:43 PM
actually win 95b is usb complaint ( not 95a ) although I can't remember about the "c" and "d" versions.

depending on file size I just install the 95 H/D on the xp box and copy.

adversely ( from memory ) you could just use a programe like chainsaw and hack the file down to little 1.44mb floppy size and transfer away?

or how about setting up a null modem network? - I think it was by using a special parallel cable ( just can't exactly remember )

or just install a copy of your favourite P2P software on each pc and download it over the 'net.

:)

zqwerty
15-01-2004, 08:09 PM
You could go here to this link and try doing this:

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dccmain.htm

Regards Robert.