PDA

View Full Version : Repeating last typed command prompt

Jester
14-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Quick question ... how do I repeat the last typed command in a command prompt box using XP? I used to press the 'up' arrow in dos on win 98, but can't seem to do this on XP.

Thanks in anticipation

J

bmason
14-01-2004, 09:18 PM
I think F3 still works.

Jester
14-01-2004, 09:23 PM
It doesn't mate ... thanks for the suggestion though!

I have googled this, some say type doskey, others say type ! ... copy paste doesn't work grrrr

eef2
14-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Yes, It does.

Jester
14-01-2004, 09:29 PM
> Yes, It does.

:_|:_| not on my machine :_|:_|

This is the comand box on XP (Start / Run / command)

bmason
14-01-2004, 09:44 PM
I just fired up the XP Home machine and you are right because you are starting the DOS command.com. Try running "cmd.exe" instead.

eef2
14-01-2004, 10:27 PM
Oh, I didn't realise.
Sorry. Yes, you are right Jester. Actually, your post snuck just ahead of mine when I wanted to echo the one before mine, so I'm sorry if I appeared rude. That was not my intention. Please forgive and wipe away your tears.
All along I thought it was the Black Command box you were using and was suprised to read that it was the Start/Run box you were using all along.

Jester
14-01-2004, 10:29 PM
YOU GUYS ARE GREAT, that was it - use 'cmd.exe' instead of 'command'. F3 works a treat. Press F1 helps again :)

No problems eef2 - I should have been clearer in the beginning.

yay

:D

Noel Nosivad
15-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Hi Jester,

DOS had a external command or "special program" that stored the history of commands that were used, this was called doskey.com. Don't expect your DOS to work like anyone elses DOS, because as with most OS, people customise it for their personal preference and doskey.com was optional as it resided in your memory, and if you didn't have much RAM, you would usually cut down on what you really needed and what you could spare to live without.

You would press F3 or the UP Arrow Key on your keyboard to go through the list of prior commands you had used.

You should use "cmd.exe" for Win2K/XP as your DOS Prompt and for Win3.1x/9x/ME you use "command.com"

Usually the "doskey.com" is there when you call the DOS Prompt from within your Windows, as long as it's the correct one for your system.

Using command.com on 2K/XP it is considerably slow, which I believe is because of the memory management, but don't take my word on this.

Noel Nosivad

Jester
15-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Thanks Noel

I used to use the up arrow on win 98 when running the msdos prompt. For some time now not being able to do this in XP has bugged me, now I see it's due to me using 'command' rather than 'cmd.exe' under start / run.

It's handy when retyping ping, netstat commands repeatedly :) and F3 works a treat.

Thanks

J
:D

Jester
16-01-2004, 01:56 PM
sorry, should have been thanks Leon ;)

Noel Nosivad
16-01-2004, 03:30 PM
> sorry, should have been thanks Leon ;)

Leon's evil twin ;)

He know's he should be working!