PDA

View Full Version : WinNT Server install network card issue

relentless
14-01-2004, 01:17 PM
I was wondering if there is a way to get around this.
(i'm using the software/hardware for educational reasons so dont want to use anything else)
A WinNT Server install without any preinstalled service packs.
The NT server will be a bdc.
The problem being that, (first problem is that its a laptop)
It has a xircom credit card modem.
The xircom credit card modem standard nt drivers don't seem to work. I have a most recent possible drivers that will work with NT.
but.
They require service pack 4 at least.
So i can't complete the install without joining the domain.
I can't join the domain without a working network card.
I cant have a working network card without service pack 4.

So is there any other way around this little issue. I know theres a program called upromote which could achieve what i want but since its educational i dont really have a $$ to spend on licensing.
The only other thing i could think of is to use a pre service packed install cd.

relentless
14-01-2004, 01:20 PM
thats credit card modem/network card. forgot that bit. and i dont have any others lying around that would work with it.

robsonde
14-01-2004, 01:23 PM
yes the answer is to service pack the install CD.

I dont know how to do that but it can be done.

Megaman
14-01-2004, 01:23 PM
hmmm... you could ask microsoft via email where to download the service packs manually, burn them to cd, and install them

relentless
14-01-2004, 02:22 PM
sweet thanks, i'l use the info i got here to make the service packed install cd. It'l apply to nt4 too.

http://www.duspinnst.com/bootcd.htm

Odin
14-01-2004, 05:45 PM
I had a similar problem, Solution: I installed one of the default drivers from the WinNT setup and even though the card still didn't work or connect to the network it enabled me to boot into the OS where I installed the service pack and then was able to install the correct drivers for the netowrk card. I little round the bout but it worked.

relentless
14-01-2004, 08:28 PM
yea the slipstream ability was win2k onwards, thing with mine is it wants to join the domain during the install so i cant seem to complete it.