PDA

View Full Version : Capture of VHS Video & save as a DVD format

Burte
14-01-2004, 01:03 PM
I am requesting the best Capture card, and DVD recording and what is recommended.
I am proposing to use on my now redundant P3 with a 40G hard disc operating on Windows XP home. This computer is at present a stand alone but am proposing a network card and connecting to the LAN.
What I am requesting is:-
Best capture card to use
Best DVD formatting burner unit
Best programmes to use to bring it all together.
Are there any good simple books on the subject.
Appreciate any feedback.
Don

paulw
14-01-2004, 03:38 PM
Hi,

Best capture card to use
I use my DV camcoder via a Firewire card. Connect your VHS unit to the camcoder analong input and the Firewire to your PC

Best DVD formatting burner unit
I use a Pioneer 106 duel format DVD Writer

Best programmes to use to bring it all together.
I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory and capture directly to DVD MPEG2 format files at 6Mbits.

Are there any good simple books on the subject.
www.ulead.com/

somebody
14-01-2004, 03:45 PM
Welcome to PressF1 Burte,

Using a digi camcorder through Firewire would probably be quite expensive. I'd suggest trying Dick Smith or somewhere and getting a simple Video Capture Card with RCA or S-Video inputs. They should cost about $100-$150 or so.

paulw
14-01-2004, 05:57 PM
I've been down that route. I bought a Pixelview TV/capture card. The software that came with it captured in DVD format was crap. Ulead software would recogize the card but not capture from it. At that point my olde Hi8 died and I bought a DV camcorder. However the suggestion to buy a cheapo Dick Smiths card is a good idea to start with or maybe a USB2 capture device.

whetu
15-01-2004, 04:43 PM
probably the best thing to do in the long run would be to get a home dvd writer that writes region 0. As far as I know, the deck with the highest compatibility and featureset for the best dollar is a Philips model at present.

Then just dub away.

Then if you want to get a bit more serious and involve your pc in the loop, get a capture card (I'm experienced with Canopus gear so I'm biased in their favour - check out www.dvt.co.nz ) and a good editing suite such as Adobe Premiere (again, it's what I'm experienced with so I'm biased) and then use the two to mix and match your own stuff.

Actually you might not even need premiere if you get the hang of whatever bollocks video editing software microsoft forces upon you these days.

That way you dont need to render to mpeg2/vob for export or any of that.. you just do a realtime dub straight off your timeline and bob's your uncle.

The only advantages that a dvd burner has is speed and more menu creation flexibility, however by the sounds of it neither are priorities for you.

caveman
15-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Hi Burte
I have just started down the same track (Backing Hi8 & VHS homr video tapes to DVD). The setup I am using is ...
Capture card - Lifeview 3000 (it has RCA & Svideo inputs)

DVD Burner - BTC DW1004, DVD+/- RW available from Harvey Normans (I think) comes bundled with Nero & Cyberlink suite.

Software - Cyberlinks' Power Director Pro v2.55 & power Producer v2 ( check out www.gocyberlink.com)

Guides - www.afterdawn.com has heaps of useful guides relating to DVD,VCD etc.

Good luck

Burte
16-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Thanks for getting me motivated in the best directions.
Yes Caveman, you have hit the spot of what I am trying to achieve, as have converted my old 8mm, super8mm and S-8+sound to the VHS format via an optical conversion years ago before some of the colour dyes faded. I have also converted some of the family 9.5mm centre sprocket films as well and hence the interest.
I do have a Samsung DVD_HDD recorder but it isn't possible to get the DVD format out of it.

Again thanks will be following thru on this.
By the way how much HDD space is the rule of thumb plse?