PDA

View Full Version : Restriction

nirbhayn
13-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Hi
I just set 3 partitions on my hard disk one off them has win98 and one has winxp. both are formated fat32 C & f. can i install something on winxp and creat a shortcut on win98 desktop, ive tried that with office 2000 but it wont work. is there any tweak available. if not how can i do this.

Billy T
13-01-2004, 10:25 AM
You cannot open programs installed under XP from W98 or vice-versa. The installing OS is required to be running for the program to open. You wil have to install each program with the OS you wish to run it under.

Possible exceptions might be legacy programs that do not require registry entries (such as DOS software and very old games perhaps).

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Odin
13-01-2004, 01:06 PM
As Billy said, you can't install something on one OS and ten run it by booting to another. There are exceptions to this one, is Halflife which will create it own registry entry as soon as you execute the hl.exe file for the first time. Also as Billy said some older dos based programs will also be able to be used.

There are a few other modern games and programs like Halflife that you can run on both while installing on only one. DC++ is one of them.

metla
13-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Meh,ive run a boatload of programs installed under a 98 install while booted in XP.

Including but not limited to a bunch of Adobe programs,dreamweaver and a bunch of games.

Even managed to get Powerslide to run,and theres no way i could get it to run under XP unless it was run from the 98 install.

Billy T
13-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Umm............metla....

He wants to run XP programs while booted in W98, not the other way around, and backward compatibility is always easier to achieve than forward!!!

Unless the two OSs were able to share registry and other file location data on a reciprocal basis there isn't a hope in hell that just activating the exe will allow it to run. Then there's the problem of where it stores current configuration data when you shut it down.

Maybe you might like to be more specific about the W98 programs (installed under W98) that you are opening and running from an XP installation as that might give a clue to future possibilities. Version numbers would be a good start.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

metla
13-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Uh....no.

Win98 partition is long gone.:D

Pretend i was never here.........