PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver+Frames+websites

csinclair83
12-01-2004, 10:57 PM
A friend has made a website with frames and he says each time he added a frame to a homepage he was made to save each frame as a html...
and now he has serval html files which is all made to be a framed index page....

how can he put them all together as 1 homepage? and upload it as well..we have ws_ftp

and hes using dreamweaver xp....so yeah he seems a bit lost and confused..

can someone here help us compile all these htmls into a framed index page and upload it without having another dead website...

Cheers

stu140103
12-01-2004, 11:05 PM
I will answer this post, give me a few mins

stu140103
12-01-2004, 11:12 PM
> A friend has made a website with frames and he says
> each time he added a frame to a homepage he was made
> to save each frame as a html...
> and now he has serval html files which is all made to
> be a framed index page....

What your friend should of done was make a frameset (e.g. a master frame which loads every frame) then he should of just need to make new pages with out any frame then link them up

> how can he put them all together as 1 homepage? and
> upload it as well..we have ws_ftp

Once we get the above sorted then I will tell you about uploading :)

Hope this helps, if not post back here

Also if you have MSN (if not e-mail me at the same address) add me stuartw77 [AT] hotmail **DOT** com I will be back online in the morning :)

Mary H
13-01-2004, 07:58 AM
Each frame in a "framed website" is a different html document, which is why he's being asked to save an doc each time.
If you want just 1 html document don't use frames - you can usually use tables to get the same effect.

If you ask me frames are not a good place for an html beginner to start, as they can be rather confusing :o)

mejobloggs
13-01-2004, 08:47 AM
Frames are not that good to use anyway. They are going out of date, or whatever you might say.

Better just to use tables to set out your page.

Noel Nosivad
13-01-2004, 12:35 PM
Hi csinclair83,

I agree with mejobloggs, frames are not the best of things, but you can still design more flexible and impressive layouts using frames, problem is with dynamic pages we can eliminate the use of frames and the number of pages needed.

Frames divide web pages into multiple, scrollable regions. Each region, or frame requires a web page to represent it's region.

Usually the index/main page of the site holds the frameset with sets the boundaries for the region, it then inserts the contents of that region within their boundaries, and the contents are those amounts of pages that have been saved, you can then create links that when clicked on it loads those pages into which region you want the contents to load into.

Noel Nosivad

Noel Nosivad
13-01-2004, 12:57 PM
After re-reading this, and realising the answer wasn't fully answered, I'll attempt to answer it.

Basically, with the frameset page created (index.html). For example, I have 2 Frames a contentbar.html and a mainsection1.html.

Inside my frameset page, I then tell it what pages to load for each frame used.

<FRAMESET COLS="20%, 80%">
<FRAMESET ROWS="100, 200">

<FRAME NAME="content" SRC="contentbar.html">

</FRAMESET>

<FRAME NAME="main" SRC="mainsection1.html">

</FRAMESET>

Now I wouldd create my contentbar.html page, I would have created links that would load inside the "main" frame.

For each page I want to load inside it I would need to have a saved copy of it, this page does not have any frameset tags unless I'm creating frames within frames, which I would not dare do unless you want a lot of criticism.

I created a page mainsection1.html so that I could have a page maybe called mainsection2.html as the next page, although I'd name it more relevant to what it's about than numerically numbering the pages.

These are individual pages created, they are not the frameset page, they are just loaded with the frameset page into their regions.

Hopefully this has cleared things up.

Noel Nosivad

mejobloggs
13-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Very good. At least some of us tried, unlike me.

The easiest thing is probably to look at other websites.

Mine still uses frames, but thats only because I havnt bothered to update it for 3 years or something.

http://www.bloggsworld.com

Greg S
13-01-2004, 01:17 PM
I agree - frames are ultra-icky. Sure they can serve a certain purpose, but if you want your site to be popular, they're a deterrant to search engines.

Suggest to your friend to go the Mary H way and try use tables instead

zell_nz
13-01-2004, 01:33 PM
dreamweaver has fairly awesome tutorials, find the one that teaches you to add frames, do it several times (or once if you learn really quickly) and you'll begin to see how frames work, i also reccomend using the page and code splitscreen view. especially if you have a basic (or better) understanding of HTML, if not, learn.

you need 3 basic HTML files for a framed page, a frameset(.htm etc) a menu and a content, then more pages for as many links as the menu has.

also, you may need 2 copies of your entire website, one on your machine, and one on the internet these should look the same, but the code will be different: when you upload to a web server (i dont know anything about ws_ftp, so i'm assuming) you need to change file names, as it may work on your computer because you made it there, but that has local filenames, that wont be the same online.

ie:
c:\dream~1\mypage\frameset.htm will tell a browser to get files c:\dream~1\mypage\content.htm and c:\dream~1\mypage\menu.htm
so when you upload you need to change it to
www.server.com/user/content.htm, and www.server.com/user/menu.htm
and the same for each link in the menu.
this can be done using a basic HTML editor (notepad.exe) or the server's one, simply find the C:..... in the code and change to whatever it's location is online.
frameset doesn't need to be changed, but it's safe to anyway (ie to index.html)

basically the site on your computer will have all local filenames, and the remote one will have all remote names in the source

but, if you always build while online, and have dreamweavers verify URL feature on, none of this should be an issue. [[if you don't already do this, don't start, it's un-neccesaryand adds to confusion, for me at least]]

confused yet? i am, and i wrote it, mayhap this'll be of use, mayhap not
myeh- B0b