PDA

View Full Version : Xtra's Spam "filter"

arse
06-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Hi guys and gals,

Can anyone tell me whether I am going mad, or whether they are suffering the same plight I am...................... I have watched over the past few months as my inbox's traffic volume has steadily grown.

So, is it just me or is xtra's wonderful new spam filter actually attracting more spam than you were previously getting? I have found over the past few weeks,m that I am receiving on average 15 [spam] marked emails per day. That's right, per day.

I wonder how this happens, as I do not advertise my xtra.co.nz email address, and yet this is where all my spam is coming to. My email address is actually a domain name I have purchased, which redirects the "catch all" to my xtra mailbox. So I have no frickin' idea how anyone has got my original xtra mailbox - I have had this set up for over 3 years, and had received little to no spam prior to the filter being installed.

Please someone tell me I am not going crazy, insane, and loopy, and that I am in fact another who has been sucker punched by some supposedly marvellous invention whereby xtra advises what spam is in your inbox with one hand, but takes the other hand and drops your address to the local spammer - for a fee of course! Is this indeed a conspiracy against us mild mannered internet users?

Cheers

Craig. :D

agent
06-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Several people here have noticed the same thing as you; you are not going insane.

Just a note though, when I posed the idea that Xtra had basically fooled people, certain users went of saying I was a paranoid freak (something to that extent).

In hindsight the better explanation is that spammers are trying harder to get through now that spam filters are in place, but I still wouldn't put it past Telecom/Xtra to try "betray" customers.

piva
06-01-2004, 08:06 PM
I only get the occasional span now. Before it was quite a few each day, paticularly at weekends. I dont believe in conspiracy theory and dont think Telecom or any serious ISP would fake a filter .
I do not work for an ISP.

agent
06-01-2004, 08:33 PM
I apologise for my bad grammar in my post.

I know that Telecom/Xtra would most likely not sell out to spammers, but they do attract a lot of dirt due to the circumstances in which Telecom stands.

metla
06-01-2004, 08:35 PM
I never get any spam.

Seems the spammers just dont wanna include me.

agent
06-01-2004, 10:44 PM
You must feel left out ;)

toxicbass
07-01-2004, 03:59 AM
Hi!
Ive had 3 hotmail accounts,which usualy increase in junk, so my current one actualy receives about 4 x 144kb spams a week,not much,but large in filesize

My paradise email gets NONE..i did have 2 ,in total in the last 18months.
Maybe im just lucky-wel never know.
But i Dont use Outlook,and i display my hotmail address where possible first....

I do think that from what ive heard xtra do offer a more 'quality' service than some..

Without spam,
we cant collectively laugh about Mr papadalous who needs me to transfer funds into some ones account and hel transfer me some money for helping him....lol
that spam was like 4pages long...

Cheers!

robo
07-01-2004, 07:28 AM
I use a mail server to clear down my mail, and it wasn't until I logged in to Xtramail remotely that I discovered I could set an option to delete the identified spam rather than junk it with rules in Outlook and on the server. Having done that, life is better.

Paris Hilton seems to be the flavour of the month in the stuff that gets through. But at least levels have been considerably reduced and I no longer have to include spam in my traffic calculation for the month.
robo.

Megaman
07-01-2004, 07:46 AM
well the new clear net "filter" is a load of junk. even after changing to the flat rate option it wasnt activated. my solution? go to hotmail, block their email addresses and send them an email that contains words that can't be repeated in front of a mod without being told off. being blocked thay cant reply and with mailwasher i can blacklist them

cyberchuck
07-01-2004, 05:12 PM
> well the new clear net "filter" is a load of junk. even after changing to the flat rate
> option it wasnt activated. my solution? go to hotmail, block their email addresses and
> send them an email that contains words that can't be repeated in front of a mod
> without being told off. being blocked thay cant reply and with mailwasher i can
> blacklist them

Generally speaking you can't just block one email account and have no spam arrive at your door - if you could then the worlds spam problems would be solved. Unless you're talking about blocking email's from the clear.net.nz domain?

You shouldn't throw around profanities either - especially at a company you use for their services. Mainly because it's not fair to the customer services rep that gets the abuse for something that they can't control, shouldn't swear at people for any reason, and if they bothered checking the IP it would've resolved back to their own domain which is an instant give away that it's a customer hurling profanities at them.