PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 4 MX 480 problem

sandman
06-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Hi all,
I recently bought the above card as ana alternative to my TNT2 Ultra, and I was impressed with the performance increase on my games. I say I WAS impressed because a week after I installed it my computer was starting to crash on a regular basis. It will not play games, it will not play movies, and it has trouble running most applications. I have tried the following:

1. Installed later video drivers from Manufacturer (Albatron) -> No result
2. taken out the card, put my old one back in, and then swapped again
-> this fixed it for a little while but then ended up having the same problem.

I have downloaded the very latest display driver and was trying to install it. I uninstalled the old driver, then upon reboot the display goes blank but the computer still boots up. I am going to boot in safe mode tonight to make sure the driver is uninstalled but I am confused as to why I am having this problem.

I also plan on flashing the mboard BIOS as well just in case.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if you need any specific info just ask.

Wayne H
06-01-2004, 12:50 PM
If you are using Win XP, check your event viewer for an event in application log for an NV error

Description:

The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

If you have seen this and you have changed your drivers already then print out a copy of your event viewer and take the card back to the shop for another one.
When they work, they work blimmen well.

DangerousDave
06-01-2004, 02:39 PM
Gutted, it looks like you got that crazy nVidia infinite loop problem that seemed to occur with GF4 and WinXP... I don't know if they've fixed it yet (it would seem that this is quite an old problem!) but goto www.nvidia.com and Microsoft Liveupdate to get all the possible updates for your computer.

- David

ugh1
06-01-2004, 03:50 PM
NVIDIA has a lot of issues with driver updates.

Before using the reference drivers, which are always the most "recent" it pays to run one of the registry cleaning tools for the nVidia drivers.

Also be sure to install the Standard VGA driver in windows BEFORE installing the new driver.

A google search for the nVidia clean up tool will take you to one for your driver version.

Also insure you have the latest motherboard drivers, especially for the agp port.

Chilling_Silently
06-01-2004, 08:19 PM
If you're having issues, go back to the 44.03 driver set. Ive never known anybody to have issues such as that with them :-)

sandman
07-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Wow, thanks for all the advice...very useful!

Another problem now is that I cant boot to safe mode...screen constantly freezes on the bootlist (of which drivers are being loaded). If I leave it then it just reboots after awhile back to the start.

No worries, I have another HD Im going to install Windows on and start from scratch!