PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mars Rover

Winston001
05-01-2004, 06:04 AM
What a miraculous age we live in. Here I am in a remote island nation looking at pictures from another planet! And all delivered over a few strands of copper wire. This is awesome. :) :)

WalOne
05-01-2004, 07:27 AM
Yeah, I was in a remote island nation (OZ) once, looking at live TV of the moon landing at least four or five hours ahead of the footage flown over the Tassie and broadcast here ... ;\

But, not to detract, even though the images of the Martian landscape and the Mars Rover are surpassed , for example, by the images of organic refuse collections along Sth Auckland roadsides :)

Here's the NASA site for those who don't have it at hand

Mars Rover (http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/spirit/20040104a.html)

00falcon
05-01-2004, 11:41 AM
Pictures... is that the best you can do...
and mars isnt that far away... I order my pizzas from further away than that
and... what for you still be using copper wires...? So Old Old School...

whats that you say... its '04... not '54... opps... my bad... better jump forward 50 odd years... sorry... my bad...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know we are technical adolescents but look how far we have come in just… what is it 30 years ‘puters’ have been around…

Think where we’ll be this time next year… broadband might even outweigh dial-up…
2010… might not even be able to get dial-up…
2015… that’s a ¼ of the computers history away…but its only 10 years… that’s not that far… and the technological progression is only speeding up… my insignificant mind can only conjure up what I can only call sci-fi…

Technological progression isn’t ever going to slow down… my god… we have computers designing themselves now… designing multiple generation a day…
Don’t even get me started on the military, and capitalism is a whole different side…

But if I was you… I wouldn’t be amazed at what we have now… id be amazed at what we have tomorrow...

Babe Ruth
05-01-2004, 11:58 AM
00falcon,
> I know we are technical adolescents but look how far we have come in just… what is it 30 years ‘puters’ have been around…

Hmmm perhaps you'd better check Computer History Museum (http://www.computerhistory.org/) :-)

Cheers, Babe (circa 1950) ... Been using computers since 1967

outrider
05-01-2004, 12:24 PM
earth is not so advanced we on mars hacked into your probe with out even breaking into a digital sweat. you never thought that 90% of comets that land on your plants are our probes...........oops.

from opyesti
69 red road mars
opyesti@redplanet.co.rp

yes it is a miraculous age we live in. but this is what ug probably said when his mates learned to make fire

outrider

WalOne
05-01-2004, 12:55 PM
> the images of organic refuse
> collections along Sth Auckland roadsides :)

Oops! I meant to say, inorganic refuse collections :8}

Odin
05-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Are we sure it is Mars, maybe NASA has gfone back into the Hollywood moive scene like they did with the moon landing :-)

Now watch the flame war begin :D Kidding.

WalOne
05-01-2004, 05:30 PM
> Are we sure it is Mars, maybe NASA has gfone back
> into the Hollywood moive scene like they did with the
> moon landing :-)

Press Release

Dateline, somewhere in South Auckland.

"Reliable" sources today confirmed a lucrative deal had been struck between NASA and the Manukau City Council. Manukau City commissioned Hone Hackie (RORT fame) to film some of the deserted streets of the city that most resemble a Martian landscape, using inorganic refuse refused during the last collection to be removed to represent the parked Mars Rover. It was reportedly a monumental task to select the final "site" as there were so many similar sites from which to choose.

A spokesperson for Manukau City said that although the City had paid NASA for the rights to produce NASA's latest hoax in a line of similar hoaxes, there were appropriate economies of scale. The deal, rumoured to be in the tens of millions was forecast to return many more millions of dollars to the local economy once the guillable public realised they did not in fact have to actually travel to Mars to admire the "landing site", and swamped the streets of Manukau City.

A NASA spokesperson briefed the world's press on the subject, in a marathon speech in which he thanked Congress, all current heirachy at NASA, his family, his parents, their parents, the local Jeff Rense Society. Essentially he said that NASA had opted for the most economically viable proposition, that saved hiring a Hollywood sound stage.

Ends

csinclair83
07-01-2004, 06:53 AM
they have just released the first colour image from Mars...
yesterday was the black and white 3d image that u need glasses for..
you can get it off the official nasa mars rover page here

MarsRover (http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html)

or directly to the picture here

[url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/spirit/20040106a/PIA04995.jpg]Picture[/]

Warning its 8mb in size and its the highest resolution picture ever taken of another planet...Enjoy :-)

I wouldnt mind hearing from some of you "some weird" sightings like they did on the moon landing..ohh theres a shadow... :P

anyway seriously...it looks pretty peaceful and red....

csinclair83
07-01-2004, 06:55 AM
arrgh the picture link was incorrect

here it is

8mb Image (http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/spirit/20040106a/PIA04995.jpg)

WalOne
07-01-2004, 09:15 AM
Good post Chris. I think I can just make out an empty can of coke there, but no, I still maintain its a deserted south Auckland street :)

Does anyone recall a cartoon a few years ago with a bunch of Martians holding placards of the type of landscape we see now, in front of the camera to hide their real city in the background? May have been a Xerox advert ... Google doesn't find it - does anyone have a copy they can post?

csinclair83
07-01-2004, 09:21 AM
and does anyone else notice the "line" in the image...
its like 2 images put together as some rocks dont match with the other half....
start on the left side of the window and scroll verrrrrrry slowly towards the right and u will see it......its more visible mid photo after its completely loaded so yeah either theres 2 cameras or something...

i also thought i noticed a few footprints but i think its all coz i readed ur posts before loading anything and it made me think/see things that arent even there lolol...

i just really want a photo of a martian...saying hello earth lol.....that would be cool but if that happens then we will really know it was new zealand made lol...

godfather
07-01-2004, 09:42 AM
> and does anyone else notice the "line" in the
> image...

The photo is made up of a montage or of vertical strips Chris. Just look at the bottom, you will see there is at least 4.

Likely due to having to erase the coke bottle and mars bar wrappers?

csinclair83
07-01-2004, 09:44 AM
even if this has a slight possiblity of being true due to the moon hoax if that was a hoax at all..
do we even have a slight feeling that this is a great acheivement, even if its by the united states....i mean do we even feel proud that we've finally got images of land on another planet....
or do u just firmly beleive this is another hoax by the US and that anywhere out of earth is completely unreachable?

Jim B
07-01-2004, 09:52 AM
> even if this has a slight possiblity of being true

Give it a rest Chris, we don't need all that again.

outrider
08-01-2004, 03:04 PM
> Does anyone recall a cartoon a few years ago with a
> bunch of Martians holding placards of the type of
> landscape we see now, in front of the camera to hide
> their real city in the background? May have been a
> Xerox advert ... Google doesn't find it - does anyone
> have a copy they can post?

yes and it was a xerox add

csinclair83
11-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Is this why USA want man on mars?

http://cagle.slate.msn.com/news/Mars2004/main.asp

Baldy
11-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Maybe the Yanks think Osama Bin Laden is hiding up there

Baldy
11-01-2004, 03:55 PM
Did you know that

Graham L
11-01-2004, 04:00 PM
It's a place which is unlikely to shoot back.

argus
12-01-2004, 03:19 PM
I recall the cartoon. It may have been in "The Listener".

I at first suspected the Martians of shooting down Beagle (or misdirecting it into a Beaglehole). Or maybe (thinking Snoopy) that it was the Red Baron.

But now I can't help suspecting the US....

Argus

Babe Ruth
12-01-2004, 03:49 PM
But argus The Beagle has landed... see Here beagle beagle... (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/uploaded/Mars_Beagle.jpg)

Cheers, Babe.