PDA

View Full Version : JPEG & DVD Recognition

willbry
03-01-2004, 10:54 PM
I've been looking over the weekend at reasonably good quality home theatre and settled on a Pioneer but before considering purchase I wanted to check that the DVD player would play my photos. I formatted a new CD-RW disc using Adaptec Direct CD software and copied on to it from my hard drive a number of photos previously downloaded from a digital camera. They all view in Microsoft Photo Editor with jpeg extension.
In the shop the DVD player loaded the disc OK but wouldn't recognise it even though its specs said it would handle jpeg format. Another similar model also able to handle jpeg gave the same negative message on screen.
Has anyone any clues why it wouldn't work. The salesman had no idea.
They certainly come up on the PC monitor well enough.
willbry

godfather
03-01-2004, 11:10 PM
DVD players are very sensitive to media type.

While some recognise CD-RW, others will only recognise CD-R

As an instance, a relative bought a DVD player ($89.95) from the Wharehouse Stationary store at Xmas, and it recognised a CD-R with .jpg files on it, played them as a slide show even though they were just copied as data files.

It refused to play a CD-RW disk though.

I have 2 DVD players, one (the most expensive) will only recognise a CD-RW, and will only play photos if they are in VCD format, not plain .jpg.

The other will only recognise CD-R and plays VCD and .jpg

willbry
04-01-2004, 08:54 AM
Thanks godfather. I think perhaps it might pay for me to wait for the technology to improve do that down the track DVDs wil ultimately recognise every format.

godfather
04-01-2004, 09:03 AM
In that case its unlikely you will ever get one.
The technology is reasonably mature now, and if universal media acceptance was going to happen, it would have by now.

These are so cheap now, nobody will pour a lot more R&D money in as they are unlikely to get a return.
99% of people are happy with the product, as few actually use the .jpg features. They are unlikely to spend millions on compatability (remember the people making CD-R-RW independently change their processes as well)

If you get the model number of the one you want, and enter it in the site below it will tell you what its compatable with.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Mike
04-01-2004, 11:31 AM
willbry,

Are the photos you want to look at .jpg or .jpeg??? My DVD players will both handle the JPEG format, but need files to have the extension .jpg

The same is playing MPEG files - they need the extension .mpg - they won't play files with the extension .mpeg, even though they display fine on my computer.

It might pay to double check.

Mike.

willbry
04-01-2004, 02:28 PM
Thanks Mike. I've checked their extension and they're jpeg files. The machine said in the specs compatible with jpeg . From your suggestion, I should change the extension of the photos to 'jpg and have another try.
Perhaps it might work.

willbry
04-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Thanks Godfather. the site you provided is most interesting particularly the FAQ linkAppreciate your contribution
(-:

Mike
04-01-2004, 03:21 PM
> Thanks Mike. I've checked their extension and
> they're jpeg files. The machine said in the specs
> compatible with jpeg .

The file format is called "JPEG" (Joint Photographic Experts Group), but the standard extension for "JPEG" format files is ".jpg", although ".jpeg" is occasionally used.

Mike.

Graham L
04-01-2004, 03:50 PM
The standard extension is JPEG. Because a certain software manufacturer's bought-in OS used "8.3" filename formatting, the 3 letter variant "JPG" has become commonly used. :D

Mike
04-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Picky picky :p

Mike.