PDA

View Full Version : jetstream how they do install it?

yingxuan
01-01-2004, 05:18 AM
HOw do they install jetstream?Do they add a second phone line?

Greg S
01-01-2004, 06:48 AM
It's a two stage process - an adjustment is made at the local [exchange/dslam], something physical is done by a technician which I don't know exactly what; then either a technician visits the location and "splits" the phone line by doing something scary to the poor thing, or alternatively the user fit's a splitter to the the phone socket that is used by the phone (or other telecommunications devices), and ideally the adsl modem line is fitted to a second phone socket (on the same phone line).

There is no second phone line installed - remember that adsl allows the one phone line to be used simultaneously by the adsl/Jetstream modem and other phone devices.

yingxuan
02-01-2004, 05:43 AM
is there extra cost for the phone line that they split?Like u need to pay this much every month for the adsl line!?

Pheonix
02-01-2004, 11:00 AM
Yes. You pay Telecom $29.95 for the use of their ADSL equipment. And also pay for your ADSL plan to your ISP (xtra,paradise,clear,slingshot, etc...).
That is over and above the normal cost you pay for the telephone.

bk T
02-01-2004, 11:27 AM
As regards the 'splitter', I don't know why it is not for sale at retail outlets? I've witnessed two installations where a the 'splitter' (a small rectangular black component approx 6 x 2 cm) is connected to one of the phone outlets and an ordinary phone outlet (for ADSL) is then connected to this 'splitter'

The whole installation process is very simple and takes <10 minutes. I'm sure we can do it ourselves if it (splitter) is available in retail outlets like the ADSL filter.

Correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is: A filter (ADSL) filters the voice signal for the phone(one filter for each phone) and a Splitter splits the data and the voice signal. It will be much cheaper if DIY kit set is available?

godfather
02-01-2004, 01:07 PM
A splitter is really just a larger filter, but fitted at the correct position in the house wiring to filter the ADSL signal out of the phone lines in the house.
The ADSL signal itself is not "filtered" but tapped off before the filter.

I use a single ADSL in-line filter (designed for 1 phone) to filter the line that feeds all my phones (via a small PABX). I tap off the ADSL router before the in-line filter. You need to have the circuits wired correctly when installed to allow this, but in my case it was and works perfectly.

ADSL splitters were available retail when I installed mine, but a $20 filter was all I needed.

Commercially installed solutions are usually the best for those that are not comfortable with DIY phone wiring. Centrally fitted splitters are best for low signal areas as well.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
02-01-2004, 01:54 PM
> Yes. You pay Telecom $29.95 for the use of their ADSL
> equipment. And also pay for your ADSL plan to your
> ISP (xtra,paradise,clear,slingshot, etc...)

Umm that's only the Telecom price for JetStream Starter.

The prices for JetStream 256K or Full Rate are quite a bit higher charges to be paid to Telecom.

Pheonix
02-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Yeah, sorry, should have mentioned that.

Big John
02-01-2004, 09:40 PM
> It's a two stage process - an adjustment is made at
> the local [exchange/dslam], something physical is
> done by a technician which I don't know exactly what;
> then either a technician visits the location and
> "splits" the phone line by doing something scary to

Actually it can be just a one stage process.

You do not need the splitter at home at all if you don't want it. You can use inline filters. Does not work for all but I don't have a splitter and it works fine with normal phones. Plays havok with cordless phones but hey it saved me a heap of money.

bk T
02-01-2004, 09:53 PM
This made me recalled an installation more than a year ago where neither splitter nor filter was used and everything (both the telephone and ADSL) works fine - even with a cordless phone!

Is it really necessary to use any filters or splitters at all? ?:| ?:|

yingxuan
03-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Am i right that fibre optic runs faster than copper wire?
So telstra clear runs on cable and jetstream runs on copper wire
Wouldn't telstra cable be faster than jetstream?
It appears its the other way around!

godfather
03-01-2004, 05:04 PM
> Am i right that fibre optic runs faster than copper
> wire?

Yes, but fibre cant carry domestic ADSL signals. Fibre is usually only used for main line connections, such as those between exchanges. Fibre is messy and expensive to break out of or connect into, where you have to reconvert from voltage levels to light source levels.

> So telstra clear runs on cable and jetstream runs on
> copper wire

Cable = copper wire (co-axial cable). Don't understand your statement?

> Wouldn't telstra cable be faster than jetstream?

If you have a 256 connection, you get 256. Either cable or phone ADSL. Cable has a wider bandwith than phone ADSL in general, but its not all available for Internet. TV and phone services use it as well. TV requires a huge portion of the bandwidth.

> It appears its the other way around!

Why?

DangerousDave
03-01-2004, 10:07 PM
The problem with fibre is that they can't change light->electricity fast enough ;) *waits for light-based computers*

Isn't it illegal to install the splitter yourself? I know it is in Australia, but i guess what telecom doesn't know won't hurt them :P

- David

godfather
03-01-2004, 10:18 PM
Its legal to install your own phone equipment on "your side" of the ETP (External Test Point, where the cable enters the building) in NZ.

If you stuff it up and have to get Telecom out, then you pay.

If you have wiring insurance active on your phone account, then that covers failures but not misadventure / negligence.

yingxuan
08-01-2004, 05:02 AM
Telstra cable uses fibre optic right?

godfather
08-01-2004, 08:48 AM
> Telstra cable uses fibre optic right?

Yes. For the main Network backbone.

Not (usually) for the wires (= cable) drops to the house.

As previously explained above.