PDA

View Full Version : Compressing Email Attachments

willbry
29-12-2003, 03:56 AM
I've been sent an email message which contains a Christmas letter as an attachment. This comprises mostly text but all sorts of seasonal embellishments and a couple of photos. Its sent as a word document with the extension.doc. Though only comprising an A4 page it took a year to download because it took up a massive 4.9MB of space.
I would like to forward it on to a family member who would like to read it but don't want to inflict the pain of trying to send such a massive monster on to anybody else. How can I forward this email on but compress the attachment to say less than one MB? I'm using OExpress which doesn't give any help in the "Help" section about compressing attachments before sending

yingxuan
29-12-2003, 05:48 AM
I would save that email on the computer.use winzip to compress the file then .attach the file into the email then send it.Not sure if it can be compress to less than 1mb though

cyberchuck
29-12-2003, 06:50 AM
Another thing to try - use a photo editing program to resize the photo's used in the document as Word retains the original file with itself (which therefore means if you put a 1MB photo in you're getting a 1MB+ Document out) even when it is resized. So if you put in the photo and then halved the size of it you still end up with the Word Document and it's 1MB photo which has just been shrunk.
Whereas if you choose the size you want in whatever image editing program you use (which could effectively reduce the photo size) and then insert the image into Word you will get the smaller document.
However that will only work should the images inside the doc. be shrunken.

Alternatively you could try changing the formats of the images and sacrificing some quality to get the photo sizes down?

For the document - you could sacrifice some of the seasonal embellishments for size (depending how large they are) - generally speaking if they came from Word's clipart they're pretty small but if it's something like a picture which is being used to spice up the document for the festive season then I guess it could cut down the size.

Or, if you want to try something different - save the document as Rich Text Format (.rtf) as they generally are smaller then their Microsoft Word counter-parts.

CyberChuck

Terry Porritt
29-12-2003, 06:55 AM
This is one of the problems of of present day internet email which has been provided with all sorts of bells and whistles by MS that it was never intended to handle. Because the embellishments are can be made people then wonder why there are problems.

I'd say convert the the word document to simple plain acsii text, look at the photos and resize them so that they are about 100KB or less. Then the whole package, uncompressed will be probably only about 200KB or even less.
After all the important thing is to convey information :)

willbry
29-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Thanks yingxuan, Cyberchuck and Terry for your helpful responses. Yes I agree with you Terry. I know the sender of this is connected permamently so space isn't an issue. He just sends it and walks away, whereas I get disconnected tring to receive unless I hover over the PC waiting for the disconnection message to pop up. They block a lot of small messages in the pipeline too
Have a good new year guys
willbry