PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic: Panasonic VX777 Car Radio error

hamstar
28-12-2003, 11:12 PM
My friend lent me his bigass car radio. It a 2DIN (twice the size) stereo and has a tuner,CD and tape.

He got it out of a van he imported from Japan so this may be a far cry.

When you put a CD in it says CD-E1-, spits out the Cd, then turns itself off.

Its a Panasonic VX777. It may be a CQ-VX777 in extended model name and I found a review of it here.

http://www.eol.ee/~margus/vx777.html

I have tried googling for a manual or to see if anyone else had had the same problem but to no avail.

My friend has the manual but it is in an asian language. We found a page that has CD-E1- on it but we can't read he description.

Would anyone be able to read it for me if I put a scan on ImageF1?

Cheers

Billy T
30-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Hi Rob

I had a quick poke around on the web and found this (translated from the German)

Hello Hifi forum,
Property today my winter car taken over. (gulf of 2 pigs Diesels)
In this panasonic a CD Reciever (RDP200) is inserted.
This muck thing however unfortunately accepts no Cds.
On the Panasonic side the error code ("CD E1 " comes).
Described as: CD contaminated or verdreckt.
Cleaning CD has I already 2x tried without improvement.
have their any tips???

The model number is not the same, but yours being a premium product I wonder if an anti-theft security code is required after it has been disconnected from the battery. I'd try calling Panasonic, or better still, talk to a premium Hi Fi car stereo installation company like Rapid Radio in Auckland. (09-303 1838).

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)

hamstar
30-12-2003, 11:10 PM
Cheers Billy...

I never thought of it that way.

If I took it in to a Repco do you think they'd (or anyone else) charge me to look at it?

Billy T
31-12-2003, 11:00 AM
I don't think Repco would be of any use at all. You need somebody familiar with the security features of high priced car audio equipment or a Panasonic expert.

The reason I suggested a security code is that I remembered reading several years ago that upmarket car audio in Europe/UK would not operate after removal from a vehicle without entering the correct code.

Fortunately, it was not you who removed it from the original vehicle! Your friend may find more information there.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)

Andrew B
31-12-2003, 11:24 AM
Does anything else apart from the CD player work? If it needs a security code to be entered since its power has been disconnected I would have thought nothing at all would be working.

Billy T
31-12-2003, 11:40 AM
Not necessarily Andrew, it is sufficient to kill the CD player as car audio thieves are not overly interested in RF programme sources. They want CDs for progamming their own music.

It also increases the chances that the stolen gear will end up in a service shop somewhere.:D

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)

hamstar
05-01-2004, 12:43 PM
Hey wat do ya know! I found it! Someone tell me why that wasn't in google?

From: http://support.panasonic.co.nz/docstore/CQVX777EW%20book.pdf
Size: 2.5 MB (2,572,905 bytes)

Billy T
05-01-2004, 01:10 PM
Hmmmm...................

No mention of security codes & the error code is for a dirty or upside down disk.

If no disk will play it starts to sound like a dirty laser. Ex-Japan could mean lots of nicotine so have a look at the unit in general for excessive yellowing!!!

Otherwise send it in for service at Panasonic. I am assuming that the CD was inserted right side up :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

Stick
05-01-2004, 08:34 PM
If you are in Chch & your friends manual is in japanese I know someone who could translate it for you. Just post dack here

hamstar
05-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Well the van my mate pulled it out of was owned by a smoker cos it smelled bad but I can't see much yellowing.

That is the first thing that came to mind tho... dirty lens. Tried spraying some airbrush in there but I was all out. Gotta buy some more.

Won't it be expensive if I send it to panasonic?

And I'm north of Auckland... not Chch but thanks.

Billy T
06-01-2004, 12:37 PM
If it isn't yours Rob I'd listen to the FM stations and forget the CD. Nicotine may well be the problem but the cost of servicing is not worth it on a borrowed jobbie.

Check with the owner and if he's cool about having it looked at, use any local service shop and ask them to clean the laser. That will still cost a fair whack though so maybe you might have to pass on this one if you can't clean it yourself. It would need the right solvent anyway to shift nicotine if that is the cause.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)