PDA

View Full Version : Quicker boot-up time

Scattershot06
27-12-2003, 03:26 PM
Hi,

Everytime when my comp is booting it gets to a stage where I have the chance to select which Operation System I want to use. It usually gives me 30 seconds, or I can just push enter and it goes straight to the OS which I want to use. 1) I wonder why it asks that since I only Win XP installed on it, is the other a safe mode or something? and 2) can I make it like only 5 seconds, so I don't have to sit there and wait to push enter.

Cheers,

Jen C
27-12-2003, 03:58 PM
Not sure why you get a boot menu when booting up the PC. But if you wish to change the time out from 30 seconds, go to Control Panel > System > Advanced Tab. Under Startup and Recovery click on the Settings button, and then adjust the seconds beside "Time to display list of operating systems" to 5 seconds.

While you are in the Startup and Recovery Menu, have a look under the "Default operating System" drop down list and see what is listed. You should only have the one item listed for a single booting machine.

Jen C
27-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Been doing a bit more reading and if your machine only has one OS installed, you can by-pass this boot menu completely by setting the seconds counter to 0, or removing the tick from beside "Time to display list of operating systems". Just make sure first that under the default operating system drop down box, either "Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect or if you use XP Professional "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect is highlighted.