PDA

View Full Version : Completely Bewildered

JJJJJ
24-12-2003, 10:45 AM
Have been thinking of broadband for a while. Everyone seems to have different prices and different speeds.
What is the best,price and speed. If I get it I would want the fastest and unlimited use.
I had thought of IHUG sattelite but now I find out if only works one way.
I live in Rotorua so wireless is out.
Looks like telecom is out. I rang them but they don't seem to know what they sell. All he could talk about was plans. ?:| ?:| ?:|
Jack.

Jester
24-12-2003, 11:08 AM
The "plans" are what they sell.

You sign up on a plan, which sets out your monthly set cost (price), data limit (cap, if any), rate of data transfer (speed), data over run costs (excess usage) and so on.

I think you will need deep pockets to have the fastest connection around with unlimited use, and be available where you live.

Let your mouse do the walking, look at the ISP's web sites.

J
:D

sam m
24-12-2003, 11:08 AM
> Looks like telecom is out. I rang them but they don't
> seem to know what they sell. All he could talk about
> was plans. ?:| ?:| ?:|

That's because you need a plan.

However if you want unlimited then you wont be with them as they have a capped plan.

What you need to tell them is that you want jetstream starter added to your line, that will cost you $29.95 per month.
Once they confirm that this can be done then you will need to get in contact with an ISP that provides unlimited usage. I think that you may struggle, I heard that maxnet used to provide unlimited but they have since capped it. But there may be others but not sure who.

Billy T
24-12-2003, 04:20 PM
Hi Jack

Merry Xmas to you.

If you want to try Fast Internet (ADSL) and you are not looking at satellite or other wireless options, your basic service will be provided by Telecom using one of their Jetstream options on-sold to another ISP.

Before you worry abouut providers, first check that Jetstream is available in your area and that your location is suitable. You have to be living within 5Km of an ADSL enabled exchange but if the phone lines between your home and the exchange are not good quality that can reduce to 2-3 Km.

Go to This Telecom page (http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,5123,202905-202335,00.html) click on Is Xtra Jetstream available at my place? and use the free line check to see if you are able to get the service. This site will also explain their "Plans"

Inicidentally, all the talk of caps etc is only of importance to those who want to do a lot of downloading. I started with Jetstream 500 (500 MB monthly limit) and never went near the 500 MB even with three users until somebody decided to look at streaming video from the US NBA. I upgraded to a 1 GB cap and still stay around 500 MB per month. (The threats must have worked!)

You needn't look for an uncapped service unless you are going to be online constantly and download heaps of data.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)